Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 4 of 4
Shipping rates by box size L x W x H

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

Hi,

We have a dimensional weight extension covering UPS and Fedex. This is a massively powerful extension, with more functionality being added regularly.  We have been in the Magento Shipping space since Sept 2008 so really know this area well.  We already serve many US clients with our extensions and look forward to serving many more with this new exciting addition.

Contact us at for more info. Alternatively grab the team via skype - webshopapps, or the chat button on webshoppaps.com

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/webshopapps/extension/4944/usa_shipping

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lyt108

Total Posts:  11

OK guys I MUST chime in on this.....  because I am mortified that magento does not do this......

example #1:

We ship domestically with FEDEX and internationally with USPS.  PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE POST FIRST BEFORE COMMENTING

Our most popular product w/box weighs 9 lbs.  however its dimensions are 34 x 18 x 5....which makes it dimensional weight like about 22lbs. 

Now, I enter the actual weights of our products and they ship fine in the USA using fedex ground---UNTIL someone orders overnight or 2day shipping then there is a huge difference in the price and magento undercharges...... 

then I say in my brilliance....\"hey let me put in the dimensional weights of all my products\”

I do this.... and it works great in the USA-- but then to ship overseas it is double, and no one would EVER purchase from us internationally with such high shipping prices. 

this to me is absolute madness not to somehow calculate the weights WITH the box size and intelligently pick between the two. 

maybe there is a way but why is it not easy to do?  wouldn\’t this be the #1 PRIORITY of a shopping cart?  I can tell the magento programmers have not shipped internationally very much. 

If I am wrong about this please then help a friend out......  and lead me to enlightenment.

Daniel

Magento Community
Magento Community

MattRichardson

Total Posts:  4

I have the same exact problem that lyt108 is having.  Any news on this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

snowjockey

Total Posts:  1

I am looking for a dimensional calculator that will calculate the same way my ebay calculates USPS, UPS ect...... I put the weight and box dimensions and it is fairly accurate sometimes I actually make money....... I would like to get into drop shipping but can only imagine what the problems must be if this isn’t addressed locally first.  My supplier is in China I am based in the USA.

Magento needs to implement this or I would lose customers or money the way it works now.

Ninety-four percent of online shoppers are also concerned about

unreasonable shipping prices, with 44 percent having abandoned an online

shopping cart due to shipping costs.

Magento Community
Magento Community

geek9394

Total Posts:  8

FYI, a new and improved version of the Dimension Based UPS module is available at http://solvingmaze.blogspot.com/2011/05/dimension-and-weight-based-ups-shipping.html

The module uses dimension and weight of products and packaging containers to determine shipping.  It is designed to help reduce lost revenues from undercharged shipping and lost sales from cart abandonment caused by overestimated shipping.

The module is compatible with Magento CE 1.4.x and 1.5.x. with support for:

• UPS Express Flat Rate Envelopes & Boxes
• UPS Worldwide 10 & 25kg Boxes
• Custom packaging containers
• Shipment requiring multiple packages (max 3)
• Alternative product dimension for items with multiple packable dimensions
• This-side-up packaging for liquid or fragile items

The module only works with standard UPS rates for USA and Puerto Rico.  It doesn’t work with negotiated rates.

Feel free to contact me at support(_at_)solvingmaze.com if you have any questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sam Granger

Total Posts:  65

I’ve completed an extension that calculates the shipping price depending on the dimensions & weight (weight can be cancelled out very easily). I’ll be releasing it over the weekend!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

itd-hauser

Total Posts:  13

Sam Granger - 24 May 2011 04:53 AM

I’ve completed an extension that calculates the shipping price depending on the dimensions & weight (weight can be cancelled out very easily). I’ll be releasing it over the weekend!!

I’m waiting for it smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

sduarte

Total Posts:  29

Hey I’m also waiting for this feature, my shipping costs are calculated by weight but have a max volume for each price. See attachment.

Image Attachments
Capture.PNG

Magento Community
Magento Community

betepper

Total Posts:  17
New York, NY

Please keep me updated about the release of this extension.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lyt108

so is there a fix for this????

like seriously guys isn\’t this a MAJOR problem?

is there an extension for this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

Solving this issue of shipping rates using dimensions isnt as easy as it sounds. Which is probably why Magento havent tackled it.

Yes you can put in dimensions of each products, and then pass all these to UPS, with weights, but this isn’t actually what you want, often these items will be packaged together in a larger box, or some will ship in their own package, sometimes one product may be split into multiple packages.

From our experience at WebShopApps there are slightly different interpretations on what dimensional shipping is - there isn’t unfortunately a ‘one size fits all answer’.

The choices you have are really about whether you use some form of bin packing type approach where basically it takes a set of boxes, takes a set of products with dimensions and then tries to pack into those boxes, or you go for a more specific approach where you identify and group your products according to types of boxes, how many can fit, what ship separately, etc.  Both methods have their pro’s and con’s. At WebShopApps we have gone for the approach of grouping and categorising products and their shipping needs, as we have found that this gives a higher level of accuracy to the bin packing approach (which is actually non-computational, and has a accuracy rate of around 60%).

The key is really that you need to pass into the UPS/Fedex/USPS api (or freight carrier) API a set of boxes with dimensions & weights, and then they will return the rates based on origin/destination/etc.  To get those set of boxes is where the challenge is.

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

lyt108

Once again its been 5 YEARS AND STILL NO DIMENSIONAL WEIGHT CALCULATION.

HOW STUPID CAN MAGENTO BE?

EBAY CAN DO IT
AMAZON CAN DO IT
ALMOST EVERY OTHER CART CAN DO IT

SO YOU ARE TELLING ME MAGENTO CANNOT DO IT?

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME EBAY CAN’T LEND A LITTLE ADVICE ABOUT THE CODE ON THEIR SITE TO MAGENTO WHOM THEY OWN

SERIOUSLY HOW CAN U HAVE A SHOPPING CART THAT DOES NOT CALCULATE DIM WEIGHT?

HONESTLY, HOW DUMB IS THIS REALLY?

MAYBE THIS SORT OF EMAIL IS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL GET THROUGH TO THE PINHEADS IN CHARGE.

If you were to ask me what would one feature be that is a must have for a shopping cart.....  it would be DIMESIONAL WEIGHT.

AND DONT GIVE ME THE BS LINE THAT IT IS TOO HARD TO PROGRAM.  IT IS NOT. 

THIS SHOULD BE A STANDARD FEATURE OF MAGENTO.

Magento Community
Magento Community

redstage

Total Posts:  173
Hoboken, NJ

Hey everyone!

Using the algorithms for each major shipping carrier, we put together extensions for FedEx, UPS and USPS that add dimensional weight shipping to the integrations. 

Take a look here:

http://store.redstage.com/magento-extensions/shipping/dimensional-weight-extensions.html]http://store.redstage.com/magento-extensions/shipping/dimensional-weight-extensions.html]http://store.redstage.com/magento-extensions/shipping/dimensional-weight-extensions.html[/url]

The extensions add LxWxH attributes if you don’t already have them and allows you to define your own if you already have the attributes created. 

I hope these help you guys!

Best,

Anthony
http://store.redstage.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

Richardmaximun

Total Posts:  30

I tryed some extensions for volumen/weight shiping rate but for Table Rate does it through CVS manual volume entry and not by calculate from H,W,L attribute.  Except for Fedex, UPS, etc.

Bad practice

Magento Community
Magento Community

FMEExtensions
Mentor

Total Posts:  1298

Price Calculator extension for Magento offers your required functionality that is calculate price based on L*W*H. It calculates dynamic price for variable sized products. Read more and checkout DEMO.

Magento Pricing Calculator

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 4 of 4