Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Shipping rates by box size L x W x H

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

Hi,

I’ve written an extension which implements multiple table rates, collection only shipping and option to exclude items from free shipping.  Writing an extension to do what you want here should therefore be pretty simple.

Would be good if a few of you could clarify what your requirements are. I’m currently working off the basis it is as in the message quoted below.

Also, how do you want multiple products dealt with?  I’m assuming this would just be total volume weight of all the items?

I’ll try have a go at this in the next couple of days and will feedback here.

Rgds

Karen

Jacky2008 - 04 November 2008 08:00 AM

Is it very difficult?

As I know, it should input L, W, H three numbers per products. Then calculate the volume of the box = L*W*H(cm).
So the ‘volume weight’= L*W*H / 6000
If the ‘volume weight’ <= ‘real weight’ , then use ‘real weight’ to get the shipping charge
If the ‘volume weight’ > ‘real weight’ , then use ‘volume weight’ to get the shipping charge

Very simple by text, haha.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

London, UK

Hi,

Looking further into this, and re-reading all the posts it seems to me that you have varying requirements.  As such one solution is not going to fit all people.

Here are the different requirements as I see it:

1) Ability to send W, H, L via UPS api to calculate weight at their end
2) Ability to calculate dimensional weight at Magento end then send through to UPS api and others
3) Ability to configure shipping based on W, H, L AND weight (e.g. for Royal Mail UK requirements)
4) Ability to configure shipping based on actual volume weight (as opposed to dimensional weight), AND actual weight, AND optional max length (e.g. to ensure length doesn’t exceed 1.2m). I believe this is UK specific, but please correct me if wrong.

Furthermore there are then decisions to be made about how to cope with multiple items in the basket.

Requirement 1 is relatively simple to implement - I can see what fields need to be added to the code, and have access to the UPS apis.  I haven’t got a UPS account at present to test though.

Requirement 2 is pretty much what the osCommerce extensions cater for - this is quite simple to implement.

With regard to requirement 3 I wonder if there is much point implementing it.  Surely you could just charge customers based on the packet rate, and take the profit if you happen to send via letter?! Cheeky, but much simpler.

If anyone wants any of these requirements implemented please PM me and I’ll work with you to get this going.  I am very familiar with the shipping code base, so the changes are definitely do-able. I don’t want to continue until someone comes to me with their specific requirements though, as it could be wasted work.

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

joolsr

Total Posts:  99

Hi

I’m in the UK too, and we use the FedEx shipping part of Magento. Interestingly, if you look at what FedEx returns in xml to the magento request in for shipping prices in the system log, you can see that FedEx can deal with dimensional weights, but magento can’t yet supply a variable of this type. So if there was a variable called something like ‘Dimensional weight’ as part of a products specification magento attributes, and you could make magento send this info as part of the FedEx info exchange, then FedEx should I believe return a price for this. Its not just as simple as this due to the reasons above.

Sorry, I’m a bit woolly about the details. I’ve posted earlier in this thread how we got around this and do get prices from FedEx for dimensional weights.

The other related issue we have with shipping is that we use the ‘Your packaging’ option on FedEx’s Magneto setup, as mainly our products are shipped in our own boxes, but other times we DO use std 10 and 25 kg FedEx boxes. You can get reductions in shipping cost if you use their std boxes not surprisingly, but as Magneto only allows you to use just one type of Shipping method setup, we can’t make some of our products use the std FedEx boxes and others to use rates for our own packaging. This would probably not be a difficult bit of coding, but would be very useful for many online shops I believe. Especially as this issue arises even if you ship in both 10 kg and 25 kg FedEx boxes and nothing else, as you can only set rates for one type of box, and not configure per product/or group of products.

If you would like a tester for this, please count me in. I’ve been looking for improvements to this area since Oct last year when I first tried Magento. Please private message, and I will give you my full contact details.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

London, UK

Hi,

I now have a coded and tested capability within my Auctionmaid Matrixrate multiple tablerate extension to filter shipping prices based on a custom attribute ‘volume_weight’.  This is not currently in the extension on Magento Connect due to commercial reasons.  If you are interested in the capability please PM me.

The original multiple tablerate extension can be found here:  http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/604/auctionmaid-matrixrate

I have a live testbed where you can view the funtionality on both front and backend.

Here is an example csv file:

“Country”,"Region/State","Zip/Postal Code","Volume Weight from”, “Volume Weight from","Shipping Price","Delivery Type”
“GBR”,"*”,"*”,"0”,"5”,"2.99","1st Class Recorded”
“GBR”,"*”,"*”,"0”,"32”,"7.99","ParcelForce 24-48”
“GBR”,"*”,"*”,"32”,"1000”,"80.00","Special Pallet Delivery”
“GBR”,"*”,"*”,"2000”,"2100”,"0","Collection Only”
“GBR”,"*”,"BT”,"0”,"5”,"11.99","1st Class Recorded”
“GBR”,"*”,"BT”,"0”,"32”,"14.99","ParcelForce 24-48”
“GBR”,"*”,"BT”,"0”,"1000”,"200","Special Pallet Delivery”
“IRL”,"*”,"*”,"0”,"5”,"17.99","1st Class Recorded”
“IRL”,"*”,"*”,"0”,"32”,"17.99","ParcelForce 24-48”
“*”,"*”,"*”,"0”,"10”,"50”,"Worldwide"

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

mott

Total Posts:  47
Los Angeles, CA

Was there ever a solution to adding shipping box size as to get the proper shipping costs?
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thiago Trivelato

Total Posts:  52
Brasil

BUMP +1 dimensional weight

Magento Community
Magento Community

prompterpeople

Total Posts:  4

BUMP - Is it still impossible to generate accurate shipping? lack of dimensional weight really is a showstopper for many ecommerce implementations

Magento Community
Magento Community

int2k

Total Posts:  244
Bandung, Indonesia

changing the shipping module shouldn’t be so hard
but currently the magento product data doesn’t have a standard attribute for dimension

alternatively, use the weight as volume weight / real weight depend on which one is heavier
and add custom attribute to specify the real weight of the product

Magento Community
Magento Community

draiocht

Total Posts:  23

int2k - 05 May 2009 11:06 PM

changing the shipping module shouldn’t be so hard
but currently the magento product data doesn’t have a standard attribute for dimension

alternatively, use the weight as volume weight / real weight depend on which one is heavier
and add custom attribute to specify the real weight of the product

all these are just workarounds that break other things. adding fake weights that will break shipping in some other methods (ground). SOme methods Ground - use real weight and others want dimensional weight.

UPS nor Fedex support basic weight for air - they bill for all air shipments by dimensional weight - so effective for almost 3 years we have had a UPS and Fedex Modules for Magento that produce dangerously inaccurate quotes.

Those that can, fudge it with excessive padding and “cooked” weights - in this day and age can’t we do it right.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SBC Fulfillment

Total Posts:  20

*bump*

Need accurate shipping costs!

Magento Community
Magento Community

frooyo

Total Posts:  3

bump - doesn’t appear to be a solution yet

Magento Community
Magento Community

frooyo

Total Posts:  3

Has this been solved yet?

I need to be able to include the exact shipping price on my orders for UPS, so that I can include that in the price of my ecommerce sale.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hp7

Total Posts:  18

Has Varien responded to this as I might have to use oscommerce for my next 4 ecommerce sites. I need fairly accurate pricing and currently the magento shipping modules are ridiculously inaccurate. Just adding dimensions to products and ability to choose which standard boxes the store owner carries from the shipper would be a major improvement. If the product dimensions are larger than the box sizes specified then it is a custom box.
PLEASE ADD TO ROAD MAP! Something! anything to improve shipping calculations

Magento Community
Magento Community

TheRitz

Total Posts:  2

Bump +1

We are currently evaluating Magento and while we were almost sold on using this awesome webapp for our shop, this feature missing is a total deal breaker for us. We are makers of design furniture. Most of our stuff is lightweight (for furniture anyway) but big. We always need volume weight.
The other thing is the lack of units for the weight in the product configuration page. I can find no information what these units are. Kg? Pounds? It might even be (worst case), Locale-dependent. Meaning if I switch the Locale of my shop, I need to fix all product weights?

The other concerning thing is the lack of an official roadmap for Magento. Or am I just missing something here?

I’m really sad because Magento is lucking great everywhere. But no dimension support in the product configuration and no volume weight? :(

Any official statement on this from Varien?

Cheers,

Moritz

Magento Community
Magento Community

imwy2cool

Total Posts:  164

Okay has any progress been made on dimensional shipping weights? This is very frustrating that this still isn’t a feature of Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community