Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 4
Shipping rates by box size L x W x H

R22B

Total Posts:  76

Bump it up!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

R22B

Bumping back up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mk30

Total Posts:  73
Lithuania/Vilnius

Do not bump so frequently… or they will think you are spammer :D heh… when they released first “stable” version they moved to different forums I think where Silver Golden and other Preciuos members meet and get preciuos support :D And I don’t think it’s realy bad, but hey Varien guys you shouldn’t forget us simple guys who are just starting to develop or don’t have extra money to become your preciuos partners :D BTW I’m planning to attend some seminars regarding magento here in europe… but not at this moment smile And Varien guys stop releasing new Versions without fixing bugs I hate this… before releasing new versions release beta to test whether there are bugs or not :D

Magento Community
Magento Community

brunomsilva

Total Posts:  2

Hi,

has anyone (Varien or another person) started working on this feature? I’m a developer so if no one does it, I will probably have to do it myself unless I figure a way of doing it differently.

Bruno

Magento Community
Magento Community

R22B

Anyone? Any Varien members want to chime in?

Magento Community
Magento Community

coronac

Total Posts:  50
Florida

+1for dimensional weight

Magento Community
Magento Community

Korr

Total Posts:  116
Jakarta - Indonesia

This is a necessary and critical feature for an e-commerce engine.

VirtueMart has this feature, in a more simple manner.
It’s easy to customize the value of the product’s L/W/H.

/* Example of how this feature should work
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- By default, Magento’s admin have the ability to define the product’s L/W/H (not required/optional)
- This L/W/H dimension, will have the function & works just like the product’s price
- Later, we can put additional value, that will change the default L/W/H of the product. Either by configure it manually, or automatic calculation.

So, if a customer buy a “small box”, then the product’s L/W/H would reduce from (ie;) the “normal box” size = 5cm /4cm /10cm to -> 3cm /2cm /6cm
The same goes with the “large box”. Except, that the product’s L/W/H will increase this time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End of example */

Magento Community
Magento Community

tomislavbilic

Total Posts:  69
Osijek, Croatia

Hi Guys,

I’m willing to develop it and I would be happy to share my work with you. However, I have a serious problem finding an UPS API document. 
By reading this 2 documents, looks like I’m not the only one:
1. http://blog.programmableweb.com/2008/04/10/bad-api-docs-and-the-quest-for-the-ups-api/
2. http://redcorundum.blogspot.com/2008/02/quest-for-ups-api.html

If anyone has good UPS API document, please send it to me to tomislav {at} inchoo {dot} net

Many thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jnunez

Total Posts:  4

Have you received the information request?  I am thinking of looking at the osCommerce UPS Module and using that information to create a dimension based UPS module.  What I need is more information on properly creating a shipping module.

Magento Community
Magento Community

widgetuk

Total Posts:  20

I seriously need shipping method that can support dimension aswell as weight. For anyone who’s shipping with Royal Mail in UK for example, the dimensions are a critical part of the calculation.

I genuinely am shocked that this hasnt been factored into Magento from day1, because it appears Magento developers have thought of EVERYTHING else… but obviously missed this import feature for us store owners who ship tangible products.

Lets hope someone can develop this… pleeeeeeeeeeease. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

R22B

We’re having Tomislav and his group from SurgeWorks develop this for us.  They are definitely outstanding. If you need any work, I suggest them. Honestly, if they develop this and charge us and release it for free - I wouldn’t mind the least bit.  This is so critical for Magento and its users.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jnunez

Total Posts:  4

Since I need this feature now I don’t think I can wait for Varien. 

Here is what I plan so far, please comment if you see a flaw or if I am missing something:

I believe I need to customize Mage_Usa_Model_Shipping_Carrier_Ups::setRequest() to tag on an array of each item and their dimensions. Then alter Mage_Usa_Model_Shipping_Carrier_Ups::_getXmlQuotes().  If dimension array exists then loop through it and generate the package xml for each item.

The three attributes needed for the products will be length/height/width.

How can I get the individual items and custom attributes from the Mage_Usa_Model_Shipping_Carrier_Ups?

NOTE: This method will break multi-shipping as I don’t have the time to related the products to the address.  I can try to figure this out at a later date if it’s not easily available.

Magento Community
Magento Community

XPC Design

Total Posts:  40

I think I need a solution for this too.

This wasn’t an issue I was expecting to hit at one of the last steps of setting up the store. (Yeah, my fault I guess for not checking the basics earlier.)

Magento Community
Magento Community

joolsr

Total Posts:  99

Hi

I found a solution so that you can use dim weight calcs and get approx FedEx rates that you would expect.

I set the weight attribute NOT to be the weight of the product, but comprising the dim weight of the packaged product, and not visible on the front end. That way you can choose a dimensional weight that is correct for the L W H of your product. This info is passed to FedEx and you will get the right shipping rates.

Then you add a new product attribute called ‘real product weight’, which is visible and you show in your Product Spec, which is totally independent of the Magento weight Attribute, and ignored by Fedex.

Incidentally, Even though I use KG in Magento, and its set to use this, FedEx was reading this value as LBS !!! So the rates were wrong !! I would thoroughly recommended switched on the logs and tail -f system.log in /var/log and then you can actually see the FedEx debug info coming back from each online rate request. This way you can see the base rate, their surcharge and dimensions that its using. Also, in the info coming back from FEdEx requests, it says Dim Weight not used, which implies that if magento could engineer it, that FedEx could returns rates based on DimWeight

There is also a very minor additional bug, that again if you are in the UK as we are, that they still use a USD rate to estimate the pricing, instead of GBP. This is actually not as bad as its sounds, as the rates are only very slightly different, implying that its actually related to differences of the exchange rate rather than using a different
rate itself. Also, bizarrely, you have to use UKL as the FedEx code to get UK Sterling rates.

I hope someone finds this useful !!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jacky2008

Total Posts:  43

Is it very difficult?

As I know, it should input L, W, H three numbers per products. Then calculate the volume of the box = L*W*H(cm).
So the ‘volume weight’= L*W*H / 6000
If the ‘volume weight’ <= ‘real weight’ , then use ‘real weight’ to get the shipping charge
If the ‘volume weight’ > ‘real weight’ , then use ‘volume weight’ to get the shipping charge

Very simple by text, haha.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 4