Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento and commercial use? 

jmpr_pl

Total Posts:  4

First of all i would like to say Hello to everyone (this is my first post but not last wink)!

I’ve been looking for answer for this question almost everywhere, but or there is no such answer or my english isn’t as good as I thought.

With couple of friends we are starting a small company. The major goal of this company is designing shops for individual clients.
The main problem and fact is we DO NOT have our own e-commerce software and because of that issue we would like to use Magento, for sure we will never erase any of Varien/Magento signs, logos or trademarks from any file except from the frontend files, so that our clients will always know what software they are using. Another fact is that our clients will never buy The Magento, the will always be buying optimization Magento for local standards, new template, tech. support and of course installation magento on client’s server.

So my question is: Can we use Magento for our commercial use fully legal without any cost?

Thank you very much,
JMPR

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

hydra
Guru

Total Posts:  378
Amsterdam

Yes smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmpr_pl

WOW that’s great! Thank you very much! :D

And other question: what about extensions from magento connect? can our clients use them (we offer installation of these extensions)?

JMPR

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Yes.

Plenty of other companies offer what you offer.

Just make sure you never charge your clients for the code you don’t own. Indeed, make sure it’s clear they get charged for the service.

Actually, you can charge for the code but the way most OS licenses work is that the person who buys it, then also has full master rights. So all you have to care about really, is that you never claim the code was yours to begin with.

Study the two OS licenses Magento uses. It will take you and your colleagues 2 days but it’s importan you know and understand the implications of the facts.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmpr_pl

At last every single question I had is answered!
Thank you Hydra Thank you J.T. !

J.T. you’re right, we will study this two OS license it will take time but this is worth it smile

Thx again for your help smile

JMPR

Magento Community
Magento Community

sagheer

Total Posts:  8

You can use it for commercial purpose, however I suggest read License to get better understanding.

Good Luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community