Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Pricing

MikeBWD

Total Posts:  1

Hi All a bit new to Magento
Just wondering why there is such a difference in price 0 or 4K pa totally un sell able to any but the largest corporate user.
I have never had a client happy to pay more than 5-600 pa including hosting.

Has anybody used this and if so could you explain, is that a licence for multiple hosted sites and developer help?…

Many thanks
Mike

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Not hosted, just SLA and some added features. See the well-documented comparisons.

It sorts the men from the boys and ensures early adopters cough up for bleeding-edge development.

600 per year including hosting is nothing, you clearly have no big clients with decent turnover if that’s their attitude.

Magento Community
Magento Community

watershed

Total Posts:  50

I think Mike-BD has a point.

Like him, I’m new to Magento, and I’m struggling a bit with the somewhat light designer documentation.

I’m utterly amazed with what Magento are providing for free—it’s fantastic—but $8,900 pa (Mike, where are you getting that ‘4k’ from?) is a big and unrealistic step for anyone with a client base of small businesses like me.

I can’t help but wonder if this huge disparity between $0 and $8,900 isn’t a missed opportunity. As an example, I’m a fan of ExpressionEngine which has a commercial license of $250, and with that comes dedicated and very responsive product support—and I believe magentocommerce.com runs on it! For me, $250 is highly affordable and is a price worth paying because I get the answers I need quickly and from the experts rather than, for example, having to trawl through thousands of forum posts for totally OpenSource platforms like WordPress.

I’d gladly pay a comparable price for Magento support and advice (of a lower level than Enterprise).

Magento Community
Magento Community

spamhub

Total Posts:  7

Well, $8900 pa is definitely a “sky price” to most (if not all) of the magento users. Only HUGE companies could afford, but how many of these HUGE companis will be using Magento? Most of these companies have their existing eCommerce platform (own developed) or will prefer to develop one (if they do not already have one) by their in-house IT team or outsourced team.

I am wondering How Magento could be sold at that price ?!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sam Granger

Total Posts:  65

Magento have that price for a reason. I think it’s reasonable - a lot of work can be involved with supporting such a large product. Have you tried buying the magento book that varien released? Or the Magento Beginner’s Guide by William Rice?

Magento Community
Magento Community

watershed

Total Posts:  50

Personally, I’m not taking issue with the $8,900 price tag for the level of support that comes with that. My issue is that it’s that or nothing. Even that in itself would be fine if the level of designer/developer documentation was well collated, organised and thorough, but it isn’t.

Magento Community
Magento Community

spamhub

Total Posts:  7

I m not saying that it’s not reasonable. What I meant is that the price tag may not sell as big corps may prefer spend larger money for a tailor made solution at the beginning and then a much smaller fee for maintaining the application and for minor modifications, rather than paying 9 grants for a standard application per annual which every other ones (including competitors) may have the same solution.

This is an eCommerce application, not an Intranet alike solution such as Sugar CRM or any other ERP applications. As a eCommerce application, every one (visitors and customers) are accessing the functionality and features of the front end. The implication would be, ppl would see eShop01, eStore02, OnlineStore03 the similar thing… then, you know, even the community version that millions of other webStore01....webStoreN are using Magento too… well… It cost $8900/year for support.

I will suggest the Magento team to split up the Enterprise Edn into some more levels (Platinum / Gold / Silver) of prices (e.g. $8,900 / $4,800 / $2,800), OR, made it a One-Time Application license fee (say $12K), Plus annual support fees (e.g. 3K/Year).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community