Magento Forum

Magento in it’s own folder but not in URL

Mootrealm

Total Posts:  150
San Francisco, CA

Is there an easy way to put magento in it’s own folder e.g. /magento but still make it behave like it is in the root? By that I mean i want the url of the store to be example.com not example.com/magento.

My main reason for this is purely organizational.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

Within your hosting Cpanel (or whatever your host uses) you should be able to define your site root which you could point to your magento directory.

If you are unable to figure out how to do this, email your host and they should be able to get you squared away.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mootrealm

Total Posts:  150
San Francisco, CA

That isn’t quite what I want. See I want to be able to put other scripts / content in the root. Say I wanted a blog at /blog.

I just want to keep all magento related files in one folder and not put my other stuff in with it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

The challenge you are facing is a limitation to the webserver as opposed to Magento itself.

A couple of options come to mind:

1) Using subdomains for your other functions (forum.yourdomain.com, blog.yourdomain.com) which can then each have their own folder root anywhere you like
2) Using rewrite rules to point the paths to your other scripts to a virtual path so you can have yourdomain.com/blog point to some other path that matches the structure you want.

Either way, I would still suggest emailing your host to see what options they have available for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community