Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 6 of 6
Best Magento Host? 

rrowan

Total Posts:  46
Dallas, TX

JLHC - 13 August 2010 12:02 AM

I am not trying to cast you in a bad light

I’m sure you’re not, James, in the same way that you haven’t tried to do so in the past.

The below clients seem to have experienced the same issue with yulin236:-

This same customer has been going around to various review sites and smearing us. We’ve already contacted hostjury and other review sites in hoping they will work with us to remove the reviews.

Besides that, you state that backups are removed after 30 days but it seem like the client contacted you “half a month later”, which equates to 15 days only.

I’m not sure where you got “half a month” from, it is posted as “over a month and a half”, which is 90+ days, not 15.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Aspiration Host
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

rrowan - 13 August 2010 01:37 AM

This same customer has been going around to various review sites and smearing us. We’ve already contacted hostjury and other review sites in hoping they will work with us to remove the reviews.

So the same client is posing under different names to post reviews with the aim to discredit your company?

rrowan - 13 August 2010 01:37 AM

I’m not sure where you got “half a month” from, it is posted as “over a month and a half”, which is 90+ days, not 15.

Well I am just reading what is stated by the client:-

And that time I was on vacation, when I was back half an month later. I can’t open the site, I contact them, they told the server crashed, I sponsored them to store my site, but later they told that all data lost! I’m really frustrated! And that’s what they do for this corruption. During the server corruption time, no email notice, no explanation, no further action. Only when I contact them in half a month later, I see the site down.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rrowan

Total Posts:  46
Dallas, TX

JLHC - 13 August 2010 02:17 AM

So the same client is posing under different names to post reviews with the aim to discredit your company?

Yes, I’m not sure if it is the same client or a competitor but we’ve been dealing with this for awhile and unfortunately the owners of these review sites are impossible to get a hold of or are unwilling to verify that the domain was ever even hosted(as you can see from the hostjury reviews that you kindly published, none of the negative reviews show an actual domain name or legitimate name that is on our system). I’m sure there are some legitimate unfavorable reviews, just as any company who has been in business long enough will receive eventually, Such as your company, Aspiration Hosting, has received:

Kathy L 10 Jun 10

I saw the reply from Aspiration Hosting concerning my poor review. Looks like they only looked at two of the seven tickets. Believe me, neither I nor my web designer have changed my sign in info, let alone on purpose. I resent the fact that this was assumed. They never mentioned the fact that I have not been able to access their website for the past couple days. Even when you use their chat all they do is tell you to submit a ticket, why bother with a chat? I cannot submit a ticket if I cannot even access their site, let alone access my cPanel. Before they say this, it is not an issue with my cache. I have tried to access their site from several machines. They can blame all they want but the bottom line is that their support is very poor, at least in my case it has been. When will their site be back up so that I can submit a ticket?

Well I am just reading what is stated by the client:

I’m going by our ticket history.

Magento Community
Magento Community

haskell

Total Posts:  20

jellybabys - 21 July 2010 09:33 AM

Well said haskell smile

Cheers :D

Magento Community
Magento Community

haskell

Total Posts:  20

ProContractors - 09 August 2010 07:30 PM

haskell - 21 July 2010 09:15 AM
davidmamal - 14 July 2010 02:11 AM
Honestly I don’t have any experience with your three mentioned companies, however, as on experienced webmaster I recommend strongly to choose a web host providing SimpleScripts. SimpleScripts provides easy one-click installation and management of over 70 of the web’s top applications, including Magento.

stop spamming!

no one cares!

And that is not a special feature as most hosts provide a single click installer for many scripts including mangento or they would install it for you!!!!!!

You really are able to bring these forum posts down to serious discussions Haskell grin
- Love IT!

Thanks Procontractors.

There ARE ACTUAL differences to note and some which MAY be important to you ie the client.

Some spammer coming along and saying hey hey hey we have fantastico etc SO WHAT!!! 99% of hosts have it or a different named package(identical 1 click installer function) .  Its just adding clutter, making it intentionally difficult ie spamming.

Magento Community
Magento Community

whodareswins

Total Posts:  10

I was looking for somewhere to leave Simple Helix a testimonial - I had to let everyone know I have just moved a broken Magento install from my previous hosting provider to Simple Helix and Simple Helix provided the transfer, database back up and copy, as well as a place to let me setup my site before it went live on my new VPS server. We are live already in less than 48 hours of my first support ticket and able to use our Carts full functions. Load time is blazing fast, less than 2 seconds on most pages, and under a second on cached pages. I’m amazed!

Check out the site they are hosting for me at http://floorsbybluewater.com - it is extremely fast on Simple Helix

Magento Community
Magento Community

Agena Astro

Total Posts:  22
Cerritos, CA

Months ago, we decided to go with Aspiration Hosting.  Here are some thoughts based on our unique experience and circumstance:

Things We Like About Aspiration:
They have tons of options for pricing so you always get what the most for what you\’re paying.  Plans start at $5/mo (and it actually works), everything like SSH, static IP, etc. is an optional add-on so you don\’t pay for it if you don\’t want/need it.

Speed was actually pretty decent.  Magento is a tortoise but Aspiration\’s shared servers did the best they could.

Stability was good; things didn\’t break unless we broke them ourselves.

Things We DON\’T Like About Aspiration:
SUPPORT.  Some of the worst technical support we\’ve ever experienced.  Admittedly, you get what you pay for and $5-10/mo is not enough to fund a good server AND good support.  Aspiration seems to have gone with the former, forsaking the latter.  Their support staff is located in Malaysia (though their servers are in Los Angeles), making nearly any correspondence take a business day due to the time difference.  They claim to have \"24x7\" support, but I suspect that means you can submit a ticket at any time (which you can), not that someone\’s actually reading them 24x7.  I don\’t want to say we never got a response within a few hours, but the average was 6-8hrs.

In addition to the unavailability and unresponsiveness, the support staff is often unable to explain clearly the root of issues and how to fix them.  Usually, if the issue is resolved they\’ll just say \"it\’s been fixed\” (with no explanation) or if not they may give some technical jargon for what\’s going wrong and say good luck.  Most frustrating of all are the one-sentence \"it\’s been fixed\” responses when it\’s obviously NOT been fixed.

In one particular instance, our production website had 90% of the files on the server deleted inexplicably.  We\’d been going about our daily business, not doing anything particularly out of the ordinary when it happened.  Aspiration not only took at least a day (I remember it being 2 days, but I may imagining things) to load the site\’s backup files (which they had all along), but they could provide no explanation for why everything vanished.

That was the last draw for us and we moved our production site to Nexcess.  We still have our test-bed site on Aspiration but due to another drawn-out (about 2 weeks), inept support issue we\’re strongly considering moving off them completely.

Some thoughts on Nexcess:
Migrated our Aspiration site (Magento installation, files, database, etc.) for free within 2 days, while bridging the databases so that there was absolutely zero down-time on our front-end storefront.

Speed is comparable to Aspiration.  I didn\’t notice a big change positively or negatively.

Cost is more; basic plans start at $25/mo… but it is so, so worth every penny given the next point…

AMAZING SUPPORT.  They\’re a US-based company, located in Michigan I believe.  Support is similar in setup to Aspiration (submit a ticket via email or web) but response time is much, much faster.  We usually get a response within minutes, an hour at most.  The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and communicates clearly.  Couldn\’t be happier.

Final Word:
So, if you want the cheapest host around with a decent, Magento-optimized server and you\’ll NEVER need support service: Aspiration is your company.
If like most e-commerce companies, however, you want someone standing by ready to help you out if things go bad: Nexcess is a great bet.

(PS: We only ever dealt with Magento technical, server support people.  Their Magento-specific support may be different, I can\’t comment on them).

— Agena AstroProducts
www.agenaastro.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

billymarwadi

Total Posts:  11

A couple of recent cock-ups have concerned me recently, but overall they’ve been very good.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ThrowMeAPillow

Total Posts:  11

cyclops - 12 December 2009 03:11 PM

Nexcess so far has been best

how long has that been, please?

Magento Community
Magento Community

triumph3000

Total Posts:  2

My experience is that hostgator SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS for Magento sites (shared plan).  I have to contact the company daily to ask them why my site is so slow (its fine at night).  Each time they come back with the same answer...\\\"server overload. Our techs are working on it now\\\”.  An hour later, it takes 10 seconds to load again.

Hostgator\\\’s customer service is AWESOME.  But they have apparently oversold their servers.  I can\\\’ t begin to tell you how many thousands of dollars my client has lost because customers have either left or never come back.

Do NOT make the mistake of getting a shared server with Hostgator for Magento.  I\\\’m so incredibly pissed at this company (who I LOVE for my non-magento sites) I actually took the time to post here.  You\\\’ve been warned.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 6 of 6