Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Adding advanced search to homepage column

morbidangel

Total Posts:  8

Hello! Im not an expert programmer but I was searching for a way to add Advanced Search to the homepage left hand side column, like in the screenshot attachment, through a static block.

I was able to find code to add it to the main content area (adding this code to the home page CMS > Content: {{block type="catalogsearch/advanced_form" name="catalogsearch_advanced_form" template="catalogsearch/advanced/form.phtml"}}), but not where I want it, the left side column.

I thought THIS would work, adding it to the home page CMS > Design > Layout Update XML, but its not showing up in the front end so im stumped: <block type="catalogsearch/advanced_form" name="catalogsearch_advanced_form" template="catalogsearch/advanced/form.phtml"/>

Any ideas on how to do this? Inchoo has an example but I was looking for something that would be on the homepage, product, category page, etc. http://inchoo.net/ecommerce/magento/advanced-search-sidebar-box/ (I actually wasnt able to get this to work either)

Reference for adding to main area: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/68145/#t195673

Image Attachments
advanced-search-sidebar-box-2.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

morbidangel

Total Posts:  8

Hi! Thank you for the response! I added the following to my CMS file:  <reference name="left">
<block type="catalogsearch/advanced_form" name="catalogsearch_advanced_form" template="catalogsearch/advanced/form.phtml"/>
</reference>

It added the search but it is located underneath the current left column static blocks, is there anyway to put it on TOP? Also is there a way to put it in the CATEGORY pages too?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community