Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I get rid of the ‘Home’ page and go directly to a product listing category page. 

liquid2g

Total Posts:  52

Hi guys,

How do I get rid of the ‘Home’ page?
eg. when someone visits myexamplesite.com, how can I get Magento to display to one of my product listing category pages (rather than making users click through a front page with bestsellers etc).

ie. How do I make my ‘mens-tshirts’ category page become the default home page, so when customers visit mysite.com, they immediately end up on the ‘mens-tshirts’ products category page.

I would also like the ‘home’ text link to disappear from my navigation, and instead be replaced by a link which reads ‘Mens Tshirts’ (since this is what the home page will be)

Still in the early stages of learning Magento, so clear explanations would be much appreciated.

Hopefully an answer will be useful for others trying to do the same thing too .

Thanks in advance!

-Luke

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

liquid2g

Total Posts:  52

Anyone?

I would have thought there would be others out there who have done this very thing.

I know how to show a certain category of products on the home page using {{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="35" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

But I require something different, where instead of the ‘home’ page, visitors are taken directly to the ‘mens-tshirts’ products category page.
If possible I’d like to do this without a redirect (for SEO and Adwords friendliness)

Hopefully someone out there knows.

thanks in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

itzaimz

Total Posts:  1

I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cloudquarry
Guru

Total Posts:  528

Hi liquid2g,

The fastest way I can think of to do this would be to create an internal URL rewrite of your homepage in your .htaccess file.

1. Find your .htaccess file. It should live in your Magento installation directory.
2. Find the section that says

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on

3. Somewhere below that, try the following:
# Internally rewrite homepage URL to real file location
rewriteRule ^$ /categoryname.html [L]

Where /categoryname.html is the url of your men’s shirts category.

This isn’t a rewrite 301 redirect, but instead an internal rewrite. Also, an external redirect and an internal rewrite are different things; An external redirect involves the client (browser) and the URL change is visible to the user, whereas an internal rewrite changes only the filepath associated with a URL, and is not visible to the user. This should be fine for SEO.

I haven’t tested this in parallel with Magento’s config, but hopefully this (or something similar) will work for you…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community