Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Bugs - Main Product Images

HLT1

Total Posts:  33

I am attempting to upload photos to our new store and the main image on the product page is very jagged.

To me this is a clear limitation of the tool being used by Magento software.

It’s not an issue with the image itself.

http://beta.hairlosstalk.com/shop/conquering-hair-loss-book.html

Does anyone have any suggestions for avoiding this?

Secondly:  the double click - zoom option which expands the main image.  When executed, it has no border on it, and elements behind the image remain visible, overlapping onto the image itself. 

Example:  Double click on this main product image:  http://beta.hairlosstalk.com/shop/tricomin-tricopak.html

Where can I report these bugs?

Thanks.

HLT

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

demonkoryu
Guru

Total Posts:  328
Dortmund, Germany

Maybe the source image is sharpened or antialiased or in some other way destined to become jagged when sampling down.
You could try adding a softening step (http://php.net/manual/en/function.imageconvolution.php) before resizing in lib/Varien/Image/Adapter/Gd2.php

Magento Community
Magento Community

HLT1

No, this is not related to the image.

Here is an example from Magento’s own demo store:
http://demo.magentocommerce.com/acer-ferrari-3200-notebook-computer-pc.html

Same problem.

Can someone report this as a bug, or tell me where I can do it? 

There are hundreds of mini-zoomer plug ins out there without this problem, which could have been used.

It’s pretty important to have clear product photos in an ecommerce software tool.

HLT

Magento Community
Magento Community

demonkoryu
Guru

Dortmund, Germany

http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/report/

I think it’s a problem with the GD2 library. Have you tried my suggestion and if so, are the results better?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

I think you mean the browser renderer and you mean IE. In Firefox the results are better.

Consider taking out the default double click and use something else such as Floatbox.

Magento Community
Magento Community

HLT1

Actually I just bought a new laptop, and now the same image looks perfect.

Not jagged.

Old Laptop - Win XP, Internet Explorer 7
New Laptop - Vista, Internet Explorer 8

I guess I can just leave it since people will eventually all be on vista and IE 8 ...

New laptop also has a better video card.

I wonder whats responsible for the previous problem?

HLT

Magento Community
Magento Community

ckosny
Guru

Total Posts:  349
Luxembourg

The problem is that the image is not actually resized by Magento - it just displays is smaller by setting the width and height in HTML. Thus the browser is doing the visual resizing and some browsers do this better than others.

To get a better display, you need to to use the a resized picture on the product display page and then use some other zoom tool to zoom to the big image.

Claudia

Magento Community
Magento Community

HLT1

ckosny - 26 May 2009 11:12 PM

The problem is that the image is not actually resized by Magento - it just displays is smaller by setting the width and height in HTML. Thus the browser is doing the visual resizing and some browsers do this better than others.

To get a better display, you need to to use the a resized picture on the product display page and then use some other zoom tool to zoom to the big image.

Claudia

So basically we neeed to disable Magento’s resize tool.

I really really strongly believe this is not just the browser, but maybe how the browser interacts with the tool.

I have used several other image zoom tools just like Magento’s in IE7 and they were never jagged

This is why I wanted to call this a bug. 

I dont even think IE 8 was out when this tool was implemented so someone must have overlooked the problem.

You dont see the problem except with straight - diagonal lines.  On rounded images its not there.

I understand that putting a pre-sized image as the product image will fix this. 

However you will then not be able to use the inner-zoom tool because it will just get blurry, trying to increase a small sized image.

So there really is no acceptable solution to fixing this problem.

If you have to hack the default install to get it to do basic functionality, then I think that constitutes a bug.

Magento Community
Magento Community

demonkoryu
Guru

Dortmund, Germany

What other image zooms? Were those Flash-based?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jake7

Total Posts:  1

Always make your own thumbnails in PhotoShop or other editor 135 x 135 for best results.
Also the zoomed image will always look burred or jagged if the image is not 500 x 500.

I try to keep my images to the 500 dimension but it’s not always practical. Has anyone any solutions for this? Would be nice if the magento zoom just zoomed to the defaut dimensions of the original image.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community