Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Cannot see frontend

Liam

Total Posts:  9

Hi I have managed to get the magento backend working and all seems right. Impressive even. I don’t know what it all means but from the screencasts it looks like a very powerful system which I’m happy to learn and get to grips with. However I am unable to see the frontend. When I go to CMS > Manage Pages and click on ‘Preview’ a new browser window pops up but I see nothing, a complete blank, not even an error message. Nothing. I’ve tried to access the frontend from http://www.(my site).magento-0.8.17240/magento/index.php but still no joy. No matter what I do I can’t seem to find the frontend. I’ve also fiddled around with the configuration of various things in the backend for hours. Can anyone shed any light on this? I’m not a programmer so I don’t want to start all sorts of trips into various config files and changing of settings. I just want some clear instructions which are relatively straightforward. As I said the admin works fine so so should the frontend, somehow. Thanks for any help.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ptityop

Total Posts:  105

How comes you have this “magento-0.8.17240/magento/index.php” ? Might be a stupid quesiton..but have you extrated the files from the zip file.... ? You should get rid of magento-0.8.17240 and get an adress like http://www.yoursite.com/magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

Liam

Yes I know, it’s hardly the most glorious of directory addresses. I just unzipped and uploaded magento - didn’t realise it was going to take 2 and a half hours to upload by FTP so have not had the time to reupload to a cleaner directory structure. I looked around to see if I could copy the files to another folder on my host using FTP but apparently that’s not possible. So I’ve downloaded Putty this morning and with some trepidation (because it might ruin my entire site if I use the wrong commands) will try to use it later to reupload magento and unpack on the server. This way I hope to see if the frontend difficulties might be solved. Seemingly getting a simple answer to a simple question, or even being pointed in the direction of a simple answer, is not possible on these forums.

Some years ago I was hired by a software company to come into their organisation and write the help files for their CMS system whcih they had built from the ground up. They needed someone with fresh eyes and no previous connection to the project to come in out of the blue and try to make sense of their system from the point of view of those who were going to use it, i.e. non-programmers just ordinary customers. Because they had been working on the system for some years they were too close to it and didn’t have the perpsective any more to see it from the point of view of someone who comes to it for the first time. Hence my assignment. I am therefore familiar with the kinds of issues around the use of software by the public and the way that explanations should be given for those using such systems.

I am willing to help the magento team as a non-programmer with some technical knowledge and some background in wrting copy for these sorts of situations. To my mind the lack of clear explanations is one of the greatest obstacles ordinary people face in their ability to use open source software. Programmers should not be the only people involved in open source projects; non-programmers should be an essential part of any team and should have the task of structuring and writing instructions in a manner such as to maximise the accessibility of the software. The open source movement is crying out for this sort of collaboration between programmers and non-programmers.

Nevertheless I still haven’t got the frontend working.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptityop

you don’t really have to reupload the thing..just copy the “magento” folder in the root folder from your ftp....

Magento Community
Magento Community

Liam

How do I do that? I see no way to copy a folder from one place to another on the server using either WS_FTP or Filezilla. I can move folders alright but not copy. Or if I can I don’t know how.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptityop

you drag the folder to the root folder…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Liam

Ok, was a bit unsure about doing that but on your say-so I’ve braved it and it works. Thanks. Now for the next fifty configuration issues.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community