Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

help needed adding attributes. attribute field does not appear when adding a product. 

NetfusionLtd

Total Posts:  6

I added an attribute called stone, but when I go to add a product this field does not appear.
I want to load all the stone names in the magento system so that when adding a product we can select its stone type from a drop down menu.
this way we would be able to see all the stone types in the pull down menu on the advanced search here:
http://thailand-jewelry.com/catalogsearch/advanced/
thanks in advance for any advice smile
the site is http://thailand-jewelry.com/
thanks, Jon

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Griff1324

Total Posts:  39

Did you add the attribute to an attribute set?

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

NetfusionLtd

Total Posts:  6

Hi Chris, yes , I added “stone” as an attribute in the attribute set and then i added it as an attribute, but when i go to add a product the field does not appear.
but i want it to that a pull down list appears so then I can select the jewelry stone type.. this way my client will be able to have the website list all jewelrys by stone type aswell as category.
thanks in advance, Jon

Magento Community
Magento Community

ModifyMage

Total Posts:  84

It works like this:

Create the attribute by clicking “Add New Attribute” under “Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes”

After you have created the attribute, go to “Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attribute Sets” and click on the “Default” set to open it. Your new attribute will be on the right side of the page under “Unassigned Attributes.” Drag and drop it into an attribute “Group” and click on “Save Attribute Set.” You can create a new group to hold it first, or use an existing one.

Now, when you go to “Catalog > Manage Products” and “Add a Product,” the new attribute will appear in whichever attribute group you assigned it to, which can be selected from the left hand navigation.

You can also set up multiple atttribute sets to use with different products. For example, if you sell t-shirts and books, you could set up t-shirts with size and color and books with author and publish date, etc.

I hope that helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Abhijit123

Total Posts:  7

Can anybody out here tell me,how to add custom attributes category wise.....?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community