Mr K

Total Posts:  11

Hi there

I’m trying to install on OSX 10.5

I’m running:
* php 5.2.4
* PEAR 1.6.2
* Mysql 5.x

I get to the install screen and I can SVN (which I’ve not installed on this rebuild), or PEAR update

When I run:
./pear install mage-core/Mage_Pear_Helpers mage-core/Lib_ZF mage-core/Lib_Varien

I get this error:
mage-core/Lib_Varien requires PHP extension “mcrypt”

Now i’m not exactly known for my mad command line skills

Can anyone point me to a simple step by step tutorial for Mac OSX 10.5 that tells me how to install mcrypt & pdo_mysql ??
I see this should work on my Media Temple account and that’s all cool, I just want a local copy to tinker with first

This is the error I get if I skip package install:
o PHP Extension “pdo_mysql” must be loaded
o PHP Extension “mcrypt” must be loaded

For those wondering, this is the tutorial I followed to install PHP on the mac:
http://www.procata.com/blog/archives/2007/10/28/working-with-php-5-in-mac-os-x-105/

Thanks in advance for any help
Cheers
K.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mootrealm

Total Posts:  150
San Francisco, CA

You can save yourself the hassle by using MAMP.

http://www.mamp.info/en/index.php

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

Total Posts:  64
Portland, OR / Orange County, CA

Amen to that.  MAMP Pro made my life a lot easier when Magento came along.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Greg

Total Posts:  53
Carmel, IN USA

You could also use Mark Liyanage’s PHP 5.2.5 for Mac OS X.  It’s a great distribution and free.  Don’t let the beta label scare you.  It is merely because he hasn’t written and install package yet.  All module etc., are production/latest release.  He has included mcrypt, mhash, etc,. all the prereqs for Magento.  It’s a pretty simple install even if it is command line.  The great think is he put all the commands in the instruction on the thread and you can pretty much copy and paste!  Too bad Apple doesn’t REALLY support open source.  This is my first real bone to pick with those guys.

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Greg

Total Posts:  53
Carmel, IN USA

You could also use Mark Liyanage’s PHP 5.2.5 for Mac OS X.  It’s a great distribution and free.  Don’t let the beta label scare you.  It is merely because he hasn’t written and install package yet.  All module etc., are production/latest release.  He has included mcrypt, mhash, etc,. all the prereqs for Magento.  It’s a pretty simple install even if it is command line.  The great think is he put all the commands in the instruction on the thread and you can pretty much copy and paste!  Too bad Apple doesn’t REALLY support open source.  This is my first real bone to pick with those guys.

Hope this helps.

http://www.entropy.ch/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2945

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mr K

Hmm maybe I should have said please don’t point me to MAMP or Marc’s tutorials

Sure they are great, but neither will give you PHP command line, nor will they give you the ability to do PEAR commands etc (at least they didn’t use too)
I prefer to run as close to native as I can .. that is native to my web servers, and MAMP is a long way off that smile

Thanks, but I’m still looking for a quick way to add mcrypt and pdo_mysql support to an existing PHP & MYSQL set up

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mr K

and to be honest, I shouldn’t have to switch my setup to run an Open Source, PHP developed app.

I want to love Magento, I have a passion for open source, good clean sites & code ... but this is NOT proving easy to set up *sigh*

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

I feel your pain; I’m a designer not a server admin.  I managed to include the requirements when setting up php from scratch in a linux test environment (installing them and adding them to ./configure), but I haven’t found a decent example of adding them to an existing setup.  Which is why MAMP was an easy solution for me, but I’m just using it to test theme work locally and not much more beyond that.

I’ll post if I find an example somewhere.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mr K

Yeah it seems some of these need to be compiled with PHP when you first set it up.  Which really sucks!!

I must admit I’ve tinkered with Symfony, Cake & Ruby on Rails - and heaps of open source solutions. I’ve never had as many issues as this exhibits. I don’t know why they are leveraging pdo_mysql anyway, there are other solutions that don’t require this - I haven’t used it for gosh, nearly 2.5 years now

Oh well, I will continue on this path - why? Becuase Magento offers the promise of being THE best open source ecommerce package out there! I love the design, layout .. everything!

If they could come up with a way to not be held to these requirements - I could see even MORE people getting on board the Magento bandwagon

Magento Community
Magento Community

gabrielk

Total Posts:  83

I’ve never had any problems running PEAR or command-line-PHP using Mark Liyanage’s installs.

That being the case, I guess I’d say get MAMP or run the compiler yourself.

One tip, you can give yourself local domain names really easily—when you’re adding your site config to httpd.conf, give your site a proprietary domain name like “magentotest.site” and then add 127.0.0.1 magentotest.site to your /etc/hosts file.  (You can use .com or something too, even if you haven’t registered it, the same way.  But note that you won’t be able to actually access that domain on the real live internet until you remove it from your configuration files & reboot.)

You may also want to alias /home and /var/www (the two most common web user root folders around) to your /Library/WebServer folder so that you can keep your web app configuration files consistent.  e.g., if you install something with an absolute home path to /home/user/public_html you can use the same kind of setup on your Mac by just adding the /home alias & adding your files + virtualhost config to the same path.  Keeps you from having to reconfigure things when uploading.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mr K

Hey all

@gabrielk .. yeah I love using virtual hosts on the local system .. it’s great. The beauty about the Mac OS is you can do all of this so simply and easily and it’s so close to production!

I’ve since found out that by default the Leopard version of PHP etc has these complied into it, so I must have screwed up my PHP stuff some how. I"m meeting with a mate who is a living legend for these things to tweak it.

However I have to say the install on (MT) went flawlessly - just like software should!! I love it!

Huge thanks to the Magento team. If they can figure out a simple local system .. awesome

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

Mr K - 12 March 2008 04:49 PM

I’ve since found out that by default the Leopard version of PHP etc has these complied into it, so I must have screwed up my PHP stuff some how. I"m meeting with a mate who is a living legend for these things to tweak it.

Really?  My new mac with Leopard pre-installed didn’t, so I’m pretty sure I didn’t muck it up.  Would love to hear what you guys come up with.  No need to use MAMP if it’s even more convenient not to. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mr K

I’ll let you know, my mate is one of the top ZEND Certified developers (actually he’s on the PHP team) so of anyone he’d know how to find out smile

I’m meeting up with him hopefully in the next few days.  Personally on my windows machines I used to run XAMP, but seriously while it was easy it wasn’t the best. I now HATE those apps because you end up with weird installs. The tutorial I linked to in my opening post is a FANTASTIC one for enabling PHP on Mac OSX - probably the best I’ve seen around.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mr K

Okay I got it sorted

I updated to 5.2.5 ... I followed these instructions:
http://www.entropy.ch/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2945

Magento Community
Magento Community

old_mac

Total Posts:  1

I’m using the most recent MAMP that has PHP 5.2.3/DAV2 and Apache 2.0.59 and MySQL 5.0.41. I’m using the beta online update stuff and the PEAR build works fine. I go to the next step and add the database info. I click the continue button and I get a white screen of PHP death.  I have tried this twice with the same results.

Could anyone tell me what may be wrong?

Thanks

~chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

bugugly

Total Posts:  9

To avert the white screen of death ---

Do a phpinfo() and get the path to the php.ini file you are actually using.

Then at cli do a “pico path-from-above/php.ini”

Ctrl-W and enter “display_errors” as your search term.

Somewhere in close proximity to this search result you should find “display_errors” and “error_reporting” settings.

Set “error_reporting = E_ALL “
Set “display_errors = ON “

Ctrl-O to write the file.

Ctrl-X to get back to a prompt.

apachectl restart on your mamp apache puts the changes into effect.

No more white screen of death.

You may find it simpler to use --
tail path-to-mamp-apache/error_log
--to view the information at cli instead of going thru all this just to make it display in a web browser.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2