Magento Forum

What is meant by template matching? 

dax702

Total Posts:  77
las vegas, nv

I have a Joomla website that I would like to use Magento with. I have read people say that the best thing to do is design Magento’s front end template to match my CMS’s template so it becomes seamless to the customer.  What exactly does that mean?  Does it mean that everything for the shopping cart will be configured to show in my main content area of the CMS? Kind of confused.  For example: Say I have a horizontal navigation menu in Joomla.  When a customer is shopping and decides he wants to leave the store by clicking on a menu item, will he be clicking directly on a Joomla menu, or will he be clicking on a Magento template menu? What I would not want to run into is having to do double work if I change something in Joomla that shows on the front end.

Can someone clarify this whole template matching thing?

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dax702

las vegas, nv

bump......

Magento Community
Magento Community

mzentrale1
Guru

Total Posts:  731
Stuttgart, Germany

Hi,

i think its meant “The same Layout”!

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

dax702

las vegas, nv

Does anyone have answers to my specific questions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Juxecl

Total Posts:  37

They mean make the two areas of your site look the same. There will be no integration between the cms and the shop, they remain separate and use their own templates. Just keep the design the same so there’s no difference to the site visitor.

The Magento navigation will be handled by Magento and Joomla navigation by Joomla.

If you want integration I think someone was working on that, search the forums for info.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dax702

las vegas, nv

If the two systems are of course different, but just look the same, what does that mean? Does it mean that everything that shows on the storefront will be somehow confined via CSS to appear to be displaying in the main content pane of my site? With Joomla, you have installable components, for example, a guestbook. When you click the menu link, the guestbook magically appears in that main content area. Is that how Magento will function even though it’s not a component of Joomla?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Not just by changing the layout, no.  You’d have to look into integrating it.

Magento is not a Joomla component, you can’t just install it into Joomla the way you would install the guestbook.

From what I can tell, whoever you were talking to was telling you to make sure that your Joomla site and your Magento site LOOK the same (have the same design) so that people FEEL like they are still on the same site.  You will still have to manage all of your Magento files OUTSIDE of Joomla, though - UNLESS you find out how to integrate it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dax702

las vegas, nv

Hmm I see.. Kind of.. I’m using the Vintage template by Joomlashack. Is it possible to use Magento with this template? To the site visitor, he/she should have access to the same navigation menu while shopping. So if for example, he wants to leave the shopping area and go to a videos area or something like that.. That’s the part I’m confused on. I don’t want to have to put a “return to main site” type button… so confusing.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community