Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Make Discount Rules More “Aware”

Tim [at] Sprout

Total Posts:  8
Orange County, CA

Having worked with e-commerce exclusively for the last several years, I’ve been going through the Magento discount rules to evaluate their use in the various scenarios we have encountered while working with merchants over the years...So far I’m impressed with the flexibility of the rules but here are a few walls I’ve run into.

1. Free Shipping when mixed with other discounts.

How can we remove or prevent free shipping on a product if they are using a discount or promotion with the product? For example, some products include free shipping but sometimes a promo may be run such as 50% off (say they want to blow out some slow sellers). When this promo is used they don’t want free shipping applied to the product. Currently I don’t see a way to make this happen.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

"Stop further rules processing” flag is your friend.

If “50% off” rule is valid for the cart, has earlier priority than “Free shipping” rules and it has this flag enabled, then only “50% off” rule will be applied.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim [at] Sprout

Total Posts:  8
Orange County, CA

Moshe, thanks for the tip!

I figured this would be the way to go about it but then I imagine the free shipping has to be setup as a discount rule and can’t be applied via the shipping method configuration screen? Would it also mean that if they had 100 products that offered this they would need to add all 100 SKU’s by hand to the conditions area of the rule? Hmm, perhaps they could assign an attribute which all products they want to have free shipping would be assigned and then check for this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

Free shipping flag as a product attribute is a great solution.

However you may see that in 0.8.17240 there’s much easier way to add SKUs or Categories in price rules, click on the grid icon near the value input.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community