Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
No exits reported in the goal funnel

SLonghurst1

Total Posts:  68
UK

Hi Fooman

Great etension, really useful for what we what to do with analytics analysis. Unfortunately i don’t think exit’s are recorded from the sections correctly. I know i have abandonded a few carts and my IP isn’t being filtered. but in my funnel is see 100% cart conversion after the first step (great for display purposes, not great for analysis smile )

Any ideas on what the problem could be? here is my goal funnel

step
1. /checkout/onepage
2. /checkout/onepage/opc-billing
3. /checkout/onepage/opc-shipping
4. /checkout/onepage/opc-shipping_method
5. /checkout/onepage/opc-payment
6. /checkout/onepage/opc-review
7. /checkout/onepage/opc-review-placeOrderClicked
8. /checkout/onepage/success/

in analytics i see the following numbers

1. 45
2. 21
3. 21
4. 21
5. 21
6. 21
7. 21
8. 21

thanks in advance

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Total Posts:  669
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi and thanks for your report.

I have had a look into a test site. Unfortunately my numbers don’t vary by much but I think I could have the same issue.  Would you be able to create a similar list to what I have attached?

In Google Analytics go to Content > Top Content. Then export a report which would contain all the one page checkout relevant pages. Then create a funnel report for the same time frame and add those numbers.

In my case it seems that the pages do get counted inside Google Analytics but aren’t correctly included in the funnel visualisation.

One further question does your checkout contain all those pages? Or do you maybe have only virtual products which don’t require a shipping step?

File Attachments
GoogleAnalyticsWrongFunnel.txt  (File Size: 1KB - Downloads: 576)

Magento Community
Magento Community

SLonghurst1

UK

hi

i have exported a top content report and it doesnt tally up at all really. Also it doesn’t make sense.

/checkout/onepage/opc-billing 38
/checkout/onepage/opc-shipping 33
/checkout/onepage/opc-payment 87
/checkout/onepage/opc-review 75
/checkout/onepage/opc-review-placeOrderClicked 68
/checkout/onepage/success 60

the numbers are based on unique page views. Its odd that there are less views to opc-billing, which is the very next stop after logging in unless of course that the billing section is only fired when a guest tries to checkout and doesnt actually count a user that logs in?

Shaun

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Shaun, indeed the numbers look strange. What appears on the page for the visualisation?

Also to troubleshoot you can try the following. Install the firebug extension for firefox. Then open the net tab and step through your checkout process. After each step you should see some activity. Copy and paste the links to ssl.google-analtyics.com into a text editor for better inspection. You should see half way in the url the actual tracked page event /checkout/onepage/opc-....  Maybe this yields some clues as to what page is tracked when and in what order.

Have you modified any of the checkout template files or do you use multi-shipping?

Magento Community
Magento Community

SLonghurst1

UK

HI

Firebug yields the following information

&utmp;=/checkout/onepage/
&utmp;=/checkout/onepage/opc-billing
&utmp;=/checkout/onepage/opc-shipping_method
&utmp;=/checkout/onepage/opc-payment
&utmp;=/checkout/onepage/opc-review

We have modified the look and feel of the pages not the underlying code though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

Can you please create a funnel with just those steps plus the success page and report back if that solves it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SLonghurst1

UK

hi

Sorry for the late reply been busy with out new store. I have made those changes in Google Analytics today. Will report back later on with an update.

Shaun

Magento Community
Magento Community

Armen

Total Posts:  46
Los Angeles

Hey guys, I haven’t been using the extension but I have implemented basically the same type of tracking by hand and I am experiencing this same issue. The only drop-outs shown are after the first step of the goal funnel, the rest are all 100%. Of course that’s not possible but that’s what is shown. I looked at my top content report and the numbers make a lot more sense there. The number of visits to each step goes down as you go down the funnel, with the exception of savedShipping which is optional for many.

I wonder if the optional step of saving a shipping method is the cause of the issue? I suppose we could remove that step from the funnel as it’s not all that important and the funnel would still be functional. Let us know what you guys find. I am not sure what’s going on here either.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SLonghurst1

UK

i have gotten the results from my revised funnel and I see the same thing. No exits in funnel path. I’ll look at slimming down the funnel further.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks everyone for posting their updates. Unfortunately I haven’t had much success so far. Judging by Armen’s comment it seems to be an issue with Google Analytics in general and not necessarily tied to my extension.

One further observation I made was when looking at the funnel visualisation. For the checkout stage it reports a number of exits and it shows where they went. Most of my missing exits from the top content report are shown as going to /checkout/onepage/opc-billing. But this is the next step of the funnel ?!

I will try by taking out the this step /checkout/onepage/ to see if that makes a difference.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Armen

Los Angeles

Did you guys see the event tracking announcement from the GA guys today? I’ve been waiting for this feature to be rolled out to all accounts. Has anyone used this feature? Can it be used in goal funnels? I don’t see how it could be since the Goal Funnel setup requires page URLs at each step.

See here: http://analytics.blogspot.com/2009/06/event-tracking-now-available-in-all.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

SLonghurst1

UK

we have fixed the issue we were having. Basically the goal needed to be set as “Exact Match” we had it set as “Head Match” we now see full funnel visualization for the checkout path.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Armen

Los Angeles

Interesting. I was going to switch to Exact Match after reading the GA help article on the different types of matching but then I realized I might be able to fix two issues at once. I’ve noticed for some reason some users get directed to ^/checkout/onepage/success/index.php instead of just ^/checkout/onepage/success. I haven’t been able to repro getting to that URL but sure enough it shows up in my Analytics reports. I didn’t think those hits were matching the steps in my head match funnel and so I have switched to trying a RegEx Match.

We’ll see if this works or if I should just switch to Exact Match like you have.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks everyone for posting their solution. I will update the instructions accordingly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

contactmaan

Total Posts:  4
London

Hi,

I installed the Fooman extention in Magento ver. 1.3.2.3.

I have added all the mentioned steps in goal setting. Although it now counts the goal conversion, all other data (pageviews for different pages) is missing. Please check the attached screengrabs (analytics goal setting and goal data) for your reference. I wonder if I have made any mistake somewhere.

Any suggestion/help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Vikas

Image Attachments
analytics1.jpganalytics2.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

hi contactvikas,

have you checked if the pages appear under the top content report? If they do, what you see them listed as should be what is making up your funnel. If the opc “pages” are not there you would need to check why they don’t show up yet. (Sometimes changes can take 48 hours to be visible in Google Analytics)

good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2