Magento Forum

Help with Content in Magento

BVL

Total Posts:  4

Hello to everybody…

I have a design being developed for Magento but they are still in software implementation for Magento.
I installed the default template of magento. Is it safe to edit all the information, add all my products and edit all necessary shipping details etc.
then when the new skin is ready i will just install the template?

Is this a good idea while waiting for the new design? Or this is a bad thing to do?
I need your advice as I am really new to Magento and I would like make minimal mistakes while I learn this e commerce platform.

Thank you and looking forward to your reply.

Francis

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

So long as you don’t mess with the default design elements, you should be able to load your inventory, set up shipping and payment, etc and when the theme is ready just install it and switch without any problem.

One tip: backup your db AND the Magento file system before the install of the new theme. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Joshua Barrie

Total Posts:  52

All content should be fine as your not touching any of it while applying your theme. Once you have a loaded all content, as Neil said back up the DATABASE and the Magento files (really because you will have images there that magento puts in seperate folders, you dont want to mess them up, otherwise you will have to re-load them all).

But I would definatly “export all products” into a CSV.

Honestly though, I really don’t think you will have a problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Total Posts:  46
Western Australia

On the subject of backups, when your site has been published and is taking orders, be sure your hosting provider is doing daily backups and storing them externally to your server.

On topic… pretty well anything you can access from the Admin Panel should be okay and not affected by somebody updating a template.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community