Magento Forum

Adding and modifying products in the right place

ourmaninparis

Total Posts:  40

Hello All,

I’m getting incredible confused.

I added products to categories. While adding the products I selected to include them in the ENGLISH store view and selected default from the little drop down list that appeared. Later I went back into the products section and updated a description. This did not show up on the site and I worked out that I had to select ENGLISH instead of ALL STORE VIEWS to make the changes on the English version.

I’m confused because I seem to have two lists of products now. One list being the original product description visible via ALL STORE VIEWS and another visible via ENGLISH. I don’t see the logic of this and I’m sure that I must be doing something wrong. My long term plan is to add a FRENCH version as well and I therefore want to make sure that things are built correctly.

To add to the confusion, I noticed that if I update the picture via ALL STORE VIEWS then this updates the ENGLISH site. This leads me to assume that certain fields are global (change all store views) and certain are local (in my case just the English version). If this is the case then which fields are global and which local and can’t we indicate these somehow?

Please help to clarify this for me.

Regards, Ourmaninparis

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

Have a look at Magento backend (Catalog->Manage Attributes). The field ‘scope’ should help you find the attributes that are global.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ourmaninparis

Thanks for this. I now know what is global.

My original question was based on the logic of constructing a new site. Is one best to add pages and categories to a Store View and completely forget the All Store Views or vice versa? The system doesn’t at all seem logical for keeping a consistency of data. I’ll give another quick example, I just duplicated a product in the ENGLISH Store View and then changed the product name, description, etc. The name, description, etc. remained unchanged in the ALL STORE VIEWS, and for a second I thought that I had duplicated products in the site…

I find this system bizarre. Why not just choose one Store View as the source and work everything from that?? I’m sure there is a logic to it, I just like someone to explain it to me.

I’m a simple man wink

Regards, Ourmaninparis

Magento Community
Magento Community

ourmaninparis

Hi,

Can anybody help me understand the logic? I don’t want to carry on adding products and find out later that I’ve added them in the wrong place.

Thanks, Shaun.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community