Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Wizardmagic.com Online Magic Shop

wizardmagic

Total Posts:  9

I got Magento online now with some limited features to allow me to build and experiment,and turn off and on features depending of bugs or features I want to add, but have a link on the home landing page to my full catalog on another system. Once there is a way to import my 8000 products, I will be fully functional.

http://www.wizardmagic.com

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ozwebfx

Total Posts:  8
Melbourne, Australia

That is not really a good idea .. besides the fact that Magento is not reccommended for use in a “live” environment yet ..  you are really giving a bad experience to anyone who visits your web site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

generally there are much nicer ways to express your opinions, atleast he has started it, yes its too early for production but atleast someone is making some progress. Im guessing hes not a designer or a developer so he is not going to be correcting issues, but setting up a site will help bug test, as thats what this preview is for.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Johan

Total Posts:  104
Sweden

The default template WILL be abused over and over again.

Just look at osCommerce. You better get used to it. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

We hope to have many design packages for users to choose, so at least the abuse will not be with a particular template.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

RoyRubin - 11 September 2007 09:11 AM

We hope to have many design packages for users to choose, so at least the abuse will not be with a particular template.

that will be quite helpful, and once we get the documentation sorted out it will be easier for the community to create some, and the system looks like it will be easy for less experienced users to install the other design packages

back to subject though, keep going with the wizardmagic.com site, test things out and let us know if you find anything, i think its greatly helpful to have people like you to be able to test the things others may not be focusing on, (we are focused on installs, importing, etc.) more advanced features but we dont want to overlook any small bugs

Magento Community
Magento Community

Johan

Total Posts:  104
Sweden

I’d like to see a very vanilla white template that mostly requires to change color scheme and logo.

Such a template would be easy for all startups to start with, not having to pay for a unique design at first.

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

ozwebfx - 10 September 2007 09:24 PM

That is not really a good idea .. besides the fact that Magento is not reccommended for use in a “live” environment yet ..  you are really giving a bad experience to anyone who visits your web site.

completely agree. i would go as far as to say sites like these would actually turn people off from magento. i don’t think anyone really wants to see an incomplete, non-functioning site with amateur photoshop skills laid on top of it

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

Johan - 11 September 2007 09:07 AM

The default template WILL be abused over and over again.

Just look at osCommerce. You better get used to it. wink

osCommerce is an abuse! (of the PHP language)

Magento Community
Magento Community

jgarcia@tdg-i.com

Total Posts:  2
web developer

you guys stop with the negative comments already.  who cares if it’s not a complete re-design of the template.

Magento Community
Magento Community

benjaminATwebbutvecklarnaDOTse

Total Posts:  23

"OsCommerce.
Is really old.
You just won’t believe how vastly mindbogglingly old it is.
I mean, you may think Google Summer of Code is old, but that’s just peanuts to OsCommerce..”

Magento Community
Magento Community

CKD

Total Posts:  31
Saitama, Japan

Hey Wizard...everyone starts somewhere.  It doesn’t look like many people gave you any recommendations.  So I will give you a couple if you are still hanging around the forum.

I would 1st off try and clean up your images...if you are going to go with the stock template, then try to match it with your logo and such. 

I would also do away with the yellow in your table area and take out the table borders. 

I think the simpler you keep it, the better things will work out for you.  Your product area looks fine..being that its the stock setup, but thats not so bad. 

So my over all thoughts.  I think we all know you are not a designer.  You do seem to know how to get things up and going, so just make things simple.  No flashing gif images...clean, simple and smooth.

Good Luck,
CKD

Magento Community
Magento Community

helpinghandhost

Total Posts:  171

WizardMagic,

That’s a nice niche you have selected, but I have a few recommendations that add on to CKD’s recommendations.

1. Add more content about your products.

2. Create a help area, where visitors and customers can go to view answers like FAQ, guides, policies, etc. (many visitors browse the help area before purchasing)

3. Use a logo creator if your not experienced with creating images.

4. Focus more on the feel and design of your store since you really can’t use Magento as a live store yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gabrielk

Total Posts:  83

Really in some audiences, “bad” design can be good.  I mean, look at craigslist.  It’s ugly, yet it’s THE most popular classified ad system on the net.

So yeah, it doesn’t look slick, but will it sell?

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

gabrielk - 02 December 2007 03:30 PM

Really in some audiences, “bad” design can be good.  I mean, look at craigslist.  It’s ugly, yet it’s THE most popular classified ad system on the net.

So yeah, it doesn’t look slick, but will it sell?

the whole ‘craigslist/google/amazon/ebay is ugly and yet successful” argument has been run into the ground already. there is no logic in it at all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brushwoodnursery

Total Posts:  23
Philly,PA USA

When I updated from Frontpage 2000 (years ago, of course), I actually had some customer complaints that my site was no longer homey and quaint. They felt comfortable with it and me as a “regular Joe”. All things must consider the customer base when making business choices. It isn’t always about degree of slickness. Did I revert? Heck no. However, if I had an 80% loyal customer base, for example, I’d think twice before making any changes.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community