Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Where are extensions stored when downloaded? 

malken00

Total Posts:  17

I’m trying to do a manual install of one of the extensions, my problem is that I had a designer take care of my site, but managed to make a complete mess of the directory structure in the process. I’d like to install a few magento connect features but when I install them, they don’t show up or work.

Is there any directory that contains the installer packages so I can install them to the proper places?

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

The files downloaded by the Magento Connect Manager are stored in the following directories:

downloader/pearlib/cache/
downloader/pearlib/download/

To fix the issue with Magento Connect, you can delete the downloader/pearlib/pear.ini file, then try again. It will re-generate the PEAR paths.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Sindre|ProperHost - 18 May 2009 10:38 PM

The files downloaded by the Magento Connect Manager are stored in the following directories:

downloader/pearlib/cache/
downloader/pearlib/download/

To fix the issue with Magento Connect, you can delete the downloader/pearlib/pear.ini file, then try again. It will re-generate the PEAR paths.

The temporary data goes to the directories you listed. The files actually go here:

app/code/community

Deleting just the pear.ini file doesn’t always work either, there’s still many other files that reference the absolute path (assuming that is the problem). Best to just write down the list of third-party extensions you have installed and replace the downloader directory with a default one:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/downloader_upgrades_wrong_store

Magento Community
Magento Community

foxydot

Total Posts:  10

this might sound like a dumb question, but I was poking around in those temp directories, and there’s a whole lot of stuff in there. once something is safely installed and registered, is it safe to “clean out” the temporary/downloaded packages? I’m guessing they are just the tars and the exploded tars before being copied to their permanent homes?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community