Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How can I make a Configurable Product Optional? 

Mosses Akizian

Total Posts:  176
Los Angeles, CA

My site features some products that can be available with a personalized tag. With use of attributes and assignment of simple products, now I have a working item that can be personalized. The Downfall- magento sets the fields as Required. How can I make this optional? The product can be customized, but can also be purchased as-is.

Any input is appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

When you are setting up the attributes to use with your configurable product, you have the option to choose whether an attribute is ‘required’ or not.
If you choose to make an attribute not required, it should appear as optional on the frontend…

Least, that’s how it’s working for me. wink

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mosses Akizian

Los Angeles, CA

Thanks NeilA- the options are set “not-required”, but as far as my understanding goes, in a configurable environment, it becomes a requirement. See attached image of current setup.

Custom Options within a product option is best solution, but since there’s no easy method of importing/exporting custom options via magento or within the database itself, the alternative with the attributes is much better. But unfortunately, the system forces the user to pick choices, which understandably makes since if you are in the business of selling a- say t-shirts, but for my purposes, it’s irrelevant, because a customer can purchase the item as-is, or add a personalize/customized tag.

A hack of some sort can probably take care of this, or even better, a proper alternative.

Image Attachments
att_notrequired.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

Didn’t realise that monocat… Interesting, I wonder why attributes must be required in configurable?  Maybe if a default value was set? Even if that default was ‘nothing’?
Will have a play latter after work…

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Look up ‘Custom Product Options’ grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mosses Akizian

Los Angeles, CA

Discovery - 18 May 2009 02:22 PM

Look up ‘Custom Product Options’ grin

Thanks Discovery. But the problem with Custom Options is that they are not import/export friendly. At least I couldn’t find any answers to that within the forums or anywhere else.

It will take a very long time to manually implement that type of options, hence counter-productive to the whole project.

Magento Community
Magento Community

candyerika

Total Posts:  2

I had the same problem with several of my attributes. Rather than creating two products, I just made one of the descriptions (Not Required) and set it as the default. I didn’t want to waste my time making custom options either.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

If you don’t mind getting into SQL you can add CPO’s en-masse, they do export with orders over the API too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mosses Akizian

Los Angeles, CA

Discovery - 18 May 2009 06:40 PM

If you don’t mind getting into SQL you can add CPO’s en-masse, they do export with orders over the API too.

I have no problem tinkering with the MySQL, but when last time I was at it, it seemed there were several tables associated with CPOs, which made me little hesitant to touch. If you have experience to exactly how to handle it, I’ll appreciate a little tutorial.

As for API, I haven’t played with it and not sure exactly how to start. Again, if you know anything about it, I’ll appreciate your input.

Thanks for your help so far. The same to @NeilA and @candyerica

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

There is definitely a update CPO’s en-masse script out there. I posted something to the forum eons ago and someone else came back with a fix that meant that you did not have to open up all the products in admin to get the CPO’s to show.

With the API write a very basic PHP script to export all orders and put them in a csv file. Get a basic login script working then just var_dump the data to the screen until you get a good idea of how everything is stored internally. You can then write these out how you want for your other system for whatever product it is that you sell.

Sorry I have not provided you with a link there, however, CPO’s are there for a purpose and the programmatic approach is worth it because you will not end up with errors in spelling etc. as well as save time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mosses Akizian

Los Angeles, CA

The saga continues…

So after much trial and error, I purchased EasySKU to set the many combination of simple products (756 to be exact) to output a configurable product. Well, it worked, but of course there’s still no way to make it optional. The alternative is to manually add a dummy default that is a blank item.

Even though I believe my site functions well based on speed, the configurable test product takes a long time to load. Based on YSlow, we’re talking about 17s to view the detail page, 47s to add to cart, 16s to view the cart, 19s to go to checkout page, compared to mere 1-3 seconds on anything else, even cart and checkout if it only carries simple products. We’re talking about “not wanna shop there” slow.

Tried the flat catalog and product build options in cache management; rebuilt the index; refreshed the layered navigation, but still performance lacked. I tested some .htaccess suggestions posted in the forums, nothing. Even tried the Fooman Speedster, no help.

Pretty much ran out of ideas. The conclusion I have come is that either magento can’t handle a configurable product with so many combinations or EasySKU is responsible somehow. Sadly, magento lacks the proper option to do what I’m trying to achieve. Which is basically purchasing an optional item within the designated product detail page.

Any ideas/workaround to go this pace and speed up the loading is appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community