Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Forced to abandon Magento

dahechler

Total Posts:  47

Just wanted to let someone know that you lost another user of your product.

I was on version 1.2.1.2

- I tried for - d a y s - to copy my production site to my localhost (desktop) and ran into nothing but problems. I - n e v e r - got it up and running.

- The upgrade path sucks extremely bad meaning all production customizations get wiped out back to the Demo store. Talk about asinine - this should have - n e v e r - been released to the public this way.

- When I tried to upgrade my production store to 1.3.1 - e v e r y t h i n g - broke. I could not even login to Admin.

- In your documentation, you say to setup a test site - but - your product does not lend itself to be duplicated easily - hosted and/or locally.

- The functions you need to use - ()popen - and - SSH shell - gave my host a fit. I had to beg and plead to get the ()popen function turned on. And - n e v e r - got access to SSH shell.

- For a non-developer, customization sucks too. EVERYTHING that needs to be tweaked to go from a demo store to test/production - s h o u l d - be able to be done with - s i m p l e - editing. Especially editing that you - n o t - need to know raw XML statements. The WYSIWYG editor worked right about 50% of the time.

The above points forced me to abandon Magento - not to mention - lost sales because to checkout did not work right with Google and Paypal.

Other than the above points, you have a G R E A T product.

I hope whoever gets this, passes this on and takes it to heart, because I really like the product,
Duaine Hechler
http://www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

So you basically…

- Didn’t have the right hosting environment, not even full access to your own server

- You didn’t put any thought into customizing in a way that preserves them during upgrades, something Magento can do easily with the local and community folders. You also don’t grasp diff and SVN as these make it easy to resolve clashes too, if they do arise.

- Probably didn’t stick to the server requirements either because if you do, copying the entire install is dead-easy. I’ve done it many times. Tools like Zend Server make it even easier.

- Jumped in head first without considering all important points thoroughly. The fact alone you have to abandon an already-live setup only highlights your own incompetence, not Magento’s issues.

It’s a shame you didn’t take a bit more time to consider whether your skill-set matched Magento’s requirements. The difference could have been covered with the right partners or courses.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hydra
Guru

Total Posts:  378
Amsterdam

J.T. - 18 May 2009 03:46 AM

So you basically…

- Didn’t have the right hosting environment, not even full access to your own server

- You didn’t put any thought into customizing in a way that preserves them during upgrades, something Magento can do easily with the local and community folders. You also don’t grasp diff and SVN as these make it easy to resolve clashes too, if they do arise.

- Probably didn’t stick to the server requirements either because if you do, copying the entire install is dead-easy. I’ve done it many times. Tools like Zend Server make it even easier.

- Jumped in head first without considering all important points thoroughly. The fact alone you have to abandon an already-live setup only highlights your own incompetence, not Magento’s issues.

It’s a shame you didn’t take a bit more time to consider whether your skill-set matched Magento’s requirements. The difference could have been covered with the right partners or courses.

Hear hear.
Wanted to give this reply but you beat me to it. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

hydra - 20 May 2009 06:21 AM

Hear hear.
Wanted to give this reply but you beat me to it. smile