Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Shopping Cart Kicking Customers Out

ncotrona

Total Posts:  161

We have been getting reports of customers completing the checkout process (one page checkout) and then once they press the place order button, they are taken right back the main shopping cart page.  All have reported that they have had to enter the one page checkout process all over again, only to be kicked out of the cart again and again. 

This is only happening to a handful of users and not to all users.  A majority of users are completing their orders successfully.  The problem is, is I can’t really determine what percentage of buying customers this is truly impacting.  All I know is the customers who have taken the time to report the issue. 

Please advise if anyone has a solution to this issue or if anyone has experienced the same issue?  Perhaps this is a security setting issue or perhaps there is a cron job that needs to be setup for order processing? 

Please advise???

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mootrealm

Total Posts:  150
San Francisco, CA

I am having this problem too and can’t figure out why.
Did you figure it out?

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

Total Posts:  796

This could be a few things:

1) Check Admin -> System -> Configuration -> Web -> Session Validation. Set the four options to “No” and delete the contents of your magento/var/cache and magento/var/sessions folder and see if you can reproduce the problem

2) Check Admin -> System -> Configuration -> Web -> Session Cookie Management. Do you have anything for Domain or Path? You can try bumping the lifetime up to 86400 to bypass any timezone server/config conflicts that may exist.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

Hi SkippyBosco,

What should go in the cookie Domain and path fields?
I figure the store domain for the first, but not sure about the second…

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

unless you are doing something like subdomains or switching between www. and non www. you can usually just leave it blank.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

I am doing subdomains. wink
The store is in a subdomain (http://store.ministrygrounds.net.au)… so worth spelling that out in the domain field?  What about the path?

Thanks for your help…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mootrealm

San Francisco, CA

@skippybosco

I turned all my session validation settings to “No” and am still having problems.
What are those for anyway? Don’t they need to be on?

It seems like it doesn’t like the fact that I am doing all these test orders with the same info or something.
It worked fine in the beginning and now I can never check out.

I went over to Safari and was able to check out on the first try, but maybe the same problem would persist if I keep making orders.

I should mention that the store i am testing on was moved from another domain. So I am wondering if there is a setting somewhere that is causing a problem.

Caches are off.
All paths in Web are NOT explicitly set. e.g. {{base_url}} etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

@Mootrealm
“All paths in Web are NOT explicitly set. e.g. {{base_url}} etc.”
I would think that is a significant issue…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mootrealm

San Francisco, CA

I know they need to be changed in a production environment, but do you think that would effect my checkout problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

@Neil: There is a good write up on it here:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/modules_reference/english/mage_adminhtml/system_config/edit/web

===== Session cookie management =====

Magento uses cookies to keep track of each visitor and to link them to their shopping cart. The “Session cookie management” settings correspond to the parameters of [[http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.setcookie.php|the PHP Setcookie function]].

The **Cookie path** allows you to make Magento cookies available in other directories (folder paths) than the current. If you want to make cookies available anywhere in a site you should set this value to a single forward slash:

/

The **Cookie Domain** is mainly used to control whether cookies will be visible in subdomains (e.g. http://subdomain.domain.com/ or not. To ensure that cookies are available in all your subdomains, enter your domain name prefixed with a period:

.domain.com

The **Cookie Lifetime** setting controls when the browser deletes the Magento cookies automatically. The default value is 3600 which means that the cookies remain in the browser for one hour (60 minutes * 60 seconds) unless the browser deletes the cookies for some other reason.

Note: Magento requires the user’s browser to accept its cookies. Using cookies may conflict with the browser’s privacy settings. You may be forced to provide a [[http://www.w3.org/tr/p3p/|compact privacy policy]] to the browser, or to set the Cookie Lifetime to 0 to ensure that your cookies disappear with the browser session.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

I can’t say with 100% certainty, but in the time you’ve taken to write these posts today, you could have tested the theory a few times. wink
I do know those variable ARE important to the correct functioning of Magento…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mootrealm

San Francisco, CA

Oh I am definitely testing it now, I was just under the assumption that setting those was more of a security issue, rather than one of functionality.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

Mootrealm - 22 May 2009 07:33 PM

@skippybosco

What are those for anyway? Don’t they need to be on?

Those are additional items that are checked to validate a person against a session. There are risks associated with disabling them (ie. one less check if someone is trying to hijack another customers sessions and pretend to be someone they are not)

They are a good place to start when troubleshooting to minimize the amount of things that may clear a users session state.

Not entirely clear what issue you are seeing since session clearing is a fairly wide net (ie. what steps do you take (exactly from your homepage -> ) to reproduce the problem (and at what point do you see it).. what is the browser, etc. Is it all of your users or just one, etc. https:// ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

@SkippyBosco
Thanks heaps for the quote and link!  I struggle keeping track of where all this stuff is! 

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mootrealm

San Francisco, CA

@NellA

I set my path and I am still having problems.

@SkippyBosco

My issue is that when I finish placing an order on the checkout page and click “Complete Order”, I am redirected to the cart with the items still in the cart.
I am the only user because it is still in development.
I have tested in the latest Firefox and Safari 3.

I was able to place orders just fine, but it stopped working at some point.
However, I have not changed any code.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

@Mootrealm, ok so that is at a slightly different spot than the validation would check.. some things that come to mind:

1) Do you see the “submitting order information” message or just get immediately redirected?
2) Are you using SSL?
3) Which payment provider are you using? If you change it to something like free or check/money order does the issue change?
4) Are you using a custom theme? If you change to the default theme does the issue change?
5) Any community extensions (or local) that may be causing conflict

Just in case it is an odd security issue you could also try resetting your permissions.

Assuming your server supports traditional security (File:644 / D:755) then you can try:

1) Download Magento Cleanup Tool:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/_media/groups/227/magento-cleanup2.zip

2) Unzip magento-cleanup.php to the root of your Magento install
3) Browse to http://yourdomain.com/mageno/magento-cleanup.php

It will clear your various caches and reset all of your permissions across your entire install

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2