Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to Enable PHP5 and Install Magento on Media Temple Grid Servers

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

I recently was digging around in my Media Temple Grid Server control panel and I found out how to enable PHP5.

SHORT VERSION:
To enable PHP5, simply login to your MT Account and browse to your Grid Controls. You should see PHP Settings on the left. Click that and on the right you will see radio buttons that let you choose PHP4 or PHP5 individually for each domain on your account. Voila!

LONG VERSION:
For a more details installation tutorial (because MT is funky that way) checkout this wiki post:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/Installing-Magento-on-a-Media-Temple-Grid-Server

Enjoy!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Update: I hadn’t logged into the store until after I wrote the wiki (oops). Apparently MT’s server uses a version of MySQL that is not compatible with Magento (at least that’s what they think the issue is here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/97/ )

Solution seems to be to use an off-site database. MT says they don’t plan on upgrading for a while. Pretty sad.

But the good news: at least you have PHP5 (5.2.2) support!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mds

Total Posts:  27
Raleigh, NC

Is anyone still having problems with (mt) grid server installations?  I just installed on gs, no problems at all.  Everything is running smoothly.

Even though gs runs mysql 4.1.1 and magento requires 4.1.2, there doesn’t appear to be any glaring problems (yet).

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lone

Total Posts:  8
Toowoomba, Australia

I will try and get a copy running on my spare (gs) server in the next few days and see if there are any problems like anyone else is facing.

I know we have PHP5 running on ours because some of the sites we placed on there require it as well, but I do remember having to change a setting to allow this to happen.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fogfish

Total Posts:  4

mds - 05 October 2007 06:54 PM

Is anyone still having problems with (mt) grid server installations?  I just installed on gs, no problems at all.

Please explain how you did it. I, along with many others, had given up hope.

thanks in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mds

Total Posts:  27
Raleigh, NC

After trying a few times, here’s what I come up with:

- Using an FTP program to upload is a bad idea.  I used FileZilla, and it was unable to upload all files for the magento installation.  Several folders deep into the hierarchy could not be uploaded.

- So then I tried installing via SSH:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/general/magento_installation_via_ssh

- The full version did not work (both the front and backend had errors similar to many other posts):

exception 'Mage_Eav_Exception' with message 'Invalid attribute requested: name' in /mnt/gs00/herd00/00000/domains/domainname.com/html/test/magento/app/Mage.php:290
- However, the lite version did install for me.  I suggest creating a new db and new directory for a new installation of the lite version through SSH.

Questions?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community