Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How Do I Create Product Customization in Magento? 

LeftWing

Total Posts:  3

Hello Magento community! ^_^

I came across Magento when looking for a shopping cart for my new business, and I was hooked! Magento seems to be the best eCommerce solution on the market now (that is free).

However, I need your help. I am looking to start a custom-built PC business with a partner of mine. We will have certain “base” models, but allow for near-total customization of the system by our customers. For each difference in product that they select, the price of the system will go up or down accordingly. We would like for this change to be in real-time on the product page, but if the price change is reflected in the shopping cart, that is fine as well.

The above configuration will use items like radio buttons, check boxes, and lines for the users to input their own typed information.

Is there a way to do such a thing in Magento? If not now, will that be in the first releace of it (or RC1 on March 31)?

Also, we are looking at credit card processing companies. I have the following in mind:

Merchant Warehouse
PayPal
Google Checkout

Does anyone have any experience with those processing companies? Is there a different company that I should look into?

Thank you for your time and effort in assisting me.

--LeftWing

Edit: I forgot to mention, the current version that we have on our server is Magento ver. 0.8.16100.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

You would need to create each PC as a “configurable product”

This should point you in the right direction: http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-a-configurable-product

Magento Community
Magento Community

LeftWing

Total Posts:  3

Scott - 09 March 2008 02:37 PM

You would need to create each PC as a “configurable product”

This should point you in the right direction: http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-a-configurable-product

I appreciate your response Scott! I read over that article, and it seems to me that I would have to create every possible configuration of hardware to get that to work. That can easily be over 200 different configuration options! That is just impractical.

Even if I was to do all of that, is there some way to have the price change based on the selected configuration option?

Let me show you an example:

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=281

That above link is from a custom PC builder called iBUYPOWER. As you can see with their CMS, users can select components for their personal build, and the price is reflected instantly. I am looking for something that acts similar, though the price change does not have to be instant. Can Magento do something similar to that (without having to pre-make every configurable choice)?

I am certainly open to any recommendations the community may have!  LOL Also, if anyone has any experiences with those payment processing systems that I posted above, I would love to hear what you have to say!

--LeftWing

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community