Magento Forum

   
Upper / lower case confusion leads to 404 error on checkout
 
millco
Jr. Member
 
Total Posts:  2
Joined:  2009-05-14
 

Ok, this one has had me confused for days.

We’ve been developing a site for a couple of weeks and noticed a few days ago that clicking on the ‘checkout’ link (modern theme) resulted in a 404 error. I naturally assumed I had broken something so rolled back the whole site to a backup from last week when we’d been able to make purchases… but the checkout link still gave me a 404. In fact rolling back to the day we did the clean install it still wasn’t working even though it had been previously.

Then we discovered that this was happening on 2 different servers - with two different versions of Magento - 1.3.1 on our dev site and 1.1.6 on the site we’re doing the new designs for.

Eventually - after days of uploading and checking files and backups, we’ve discovered that if the link to the Onepage checkout has a capital O then the checkout process starts. If it has a lower case ‘o’ then we get a 404 error.

So:
http://www.biggreencafe.org/checkout/onepage/

which is the link produced by Magento gives a 404, but

http://www.biggreencafe.org/checkout/Onepage/

Opens the onepage checkout process. It doesn’t get very far because the page redirects back to the cart when you try and progress but hey, it’s a start.

So. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what we can do to fix it? All the other pages seem fine.

Thanks.

s.

 
Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
 
Brent W Peterson
Moderator
 
Avatar
Total Posts:  3215
Joined:  2009-02-26
Minneapolis MN
 

Did you modify any of the directories. Linux is case sensitive by default where Microsoft is not. Are you moving from the same operating system to the next?

I can empathize having just gone through the same headaches.

 
Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
 
millco
Jr. Member
 
Total Posts:  2
Joined:  2009-05-14
 

Thanks for replying Brent, I should have updated this thread. It was some kind of case confusion in the end but not a linux / windows issue.

I didn’t quite get to the bottom of it, but it turned out to be a call to a custom module included in the checkout that wasn’t correctly named in it’s config file.

So, in app/etc/modules/millcoModule.xml I had something like:

<MillcoModule_Donation>
            <
active>true</active>
            <
codePool>local</codePool>
        </
MillcoModule_Donation>

when I should have had

<millcoModule_Donation>
            <
active>true</active>
            <
codePool>local</codePool>
        </
millcoModule_Donation>

I guess this meant that it wasn’t loading properly and pulling up a 404 error when going to checkout/onepage/
But this didn’t (and still doesn’t I’ve checked) give a 404 error when going to checkout/Onepage/

All of which meant I spent ages looking in the wrong place to try and work out why it wasn’t working. Ah well.

 
Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
    Back to top