Magento Forum

How about unfeature requests? 

luke

Total Posts:  11

So far my biggest issue with Magento is it has TOO MANY features right out of the box. I’m a little concerned because I’ve created a lot of ecommerce sites, and rarely have any of them needed even 50% of the features that are available right out of the box in Magento. Is it easy to turn these features off? Are these features implemented as plugins in Magento? They should be… that way it’d be really easy to install / uninstall them.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Luke - you can certainly choose not to use certain features.

Magento Community
Magento Community

luke

Total Posts:  11

What possible difference could it make? Use the features you want and donít use the features you donít want. Seems pretty simple to me.

As long as these features are easily turned off, I guess the difference is minimal. If turning off these features is a big long ordeal, than it makes a very big difference. Regardless, the average store doesn’t need most of the features in the demo store. The comment about making a lot of the features plugins was simply because as plugins, by their very nature, they are easily turned on/off.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

One thing to keep in mind, especially with M, what features do you think you don’t need that you don’t know could actually help you increase your store’s ROI?

Just a thought… cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

meh i agree with the OP. i come from a textpattern/drupal background where the core downloaded files are barely half a meg, let alone 100+ megs unzipped.
if you have a good core product, then having authors maintaining their plugins overall should not be an issue.

reasons why you would want a small core? single example would be what if a built-in feature doesn’t work the way you want it to work and you find a suitable plugin instead? now you will have to deal with that ‘built-in feature’ code loading alongside your plugin creating unnecessary overhead. i’ve already come across numerous comments on various forums saying magento is trying to do too much at once.

though i do understand varien/magento is aiming towards a ‘corporate/enterprise’ image so any potential feature sets considered ‘bloat’ (not saying there is, as i haven’t really dug into magento too much yet) by your everyday small/medium sized businesses may not look like such to larger, high-end companies who may also not be using whatever features but just enjoy having ‘a bunch of stuff.’

either way, such aforementioned reasons are why i generally prefer to use textpattern over cms’s like expression engine (not to mention its proprietary nature) overall. i love EE, but textpattern with its stripped core and feature-by-plugin architecture RUNS CIRCLES around EE in terms of space, resources, etc etc on any server you throw them on.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brandondrew

Total Posts:  64

The modules can be turned off, so it seems the solution is already there for the problem of complexity.

As far as plug-ins, I’m sure they would be useful, but the problem seems to always be that the UI turns into a train wreck.  Take a look at Firefox.  It’s a nice app out of the box, but install a dozen or so plug-ins and it becomes a nasty hodge-podge of uncoordinated features, without a common vision of how they should fit together.  (There are some excellent plug-ins that play fairly nicely together: I don’t mean to knock them all.  But in my experience they are the exception.) We don’t want Magento to degenerate into anything like that.  Is there any way to avoid this with plug-ins?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community