Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Anybody else notice just about all layouts broken using AOL 9.1? 

Brady
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Orange County, CA

I only have access to Parallels Desktop on the Mac to be able to test for Windows-based browser issues, but I launched AOL 9.1 and found all of Magento’s layouts are broken (see attached).

It looks like perhaps a float is not being cleared correctly. I am not familiar with the dos and don’ts for AOL development and how well it supports floats and clears.

Is anybody else seeing this?

Bug Tracker: http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=6265

Image Attachments
Picture 2.jpgPicture 1.jpgPicture 3.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I really would like to know why ANYONE still uses AOL. AOL needs to do the world a favor and 86 their browser. It’s moodier than IE6.

That said, I’ve never really designed for AOL so I’m not sure how to help, sorry. This may or may not help: http://webmaster.info.aol.com/compatibility.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Orange County, CA

I agree about the AOL issue. I believe our percentage of AOL visitors is fairly low, but I don’t know how to differentiate in Google Analytics. I don’t see an “AOL” browser or OS listed.

Thanks for the compatibility link! I’ll look into that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Waterloo, ON

I’m going to go ahead and guess from this http://www.analyticsexperts.com/google-analytics/knowledge-base-faq/why-dont-we-see-the-aol-browser-in-the-browser-version-report-posted-882008/ as well as some other things I’ve seen that the AOL browser shows up as IE in Analytics. I could be totally wrong on that, though. Just speculating.

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Orange County, CA

That’s what I thought. What a bummer!

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Waterloo, ON

Yeah, kinda poor planning on Google’s part. It makes a big difference if they’re using normal IE or AOL Explorer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eight32

Total Posts:  4

I wouldn’t necessarily say that it’s Magento’s layouts that are ”broken”, but more so that you have a browser standards compliance issue. All three skins you mention render correctly in my FireFox v2.

Referencing Sherrie’s link above (webmaster.info.aol.com/compatibility.html):

There are various incompatibilities which may arise in the way the specific AOL clients interact with the Browser which can result in unexpected behaviors of the browser itself.

If AOL for Mac OS X is indeed based on the Netscape Gecko embeddable browser, a quick Google about ‘floats and clears’ as you say, reports:

richinstyle.com/bugs/netscape4b.html#float

and:

… compatibility problems are the leading cause of browser display errors

(netmechanic.com/products/Browser-Tutorial.shtml)

Some things that you can do:

1. try the Acid{2|3} tests (acid2.acidtests.org) to assess your browser’s standards-compliance
2. use page validators (validator.w3.org) in your webpages to implicitly indicate to your site visitor that there may be issues with their browser and not your website

HTH, and have a great day!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Orange County, CA

Well, AOL 9.1 definitely does not pass the acid2 test (see attached).

AOL 9.1 Windows XP.

Image Attachments
Picture 1.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

sherrie - 14 May 2009 01:19 PM

Yeah, kinda poor planning on Google’s part. It makes a big difference if they’re using normal IE or AOL Explorer.

To be fair, this is more of an issue on AOL’s side in that they did not modify their agent string to indicate that they are a variant.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community