Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

I would like to chnage font for site

MamaOm

Total Posts:  3

How can I change the font for the template?
http://www.mamaomorganics.com

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Chicago area

MamaOm - 11 May 2009 04:55 PM

How can I change the font for the template?
http://www.mamaomorganics.com

The font is set in the CSS files.  ../skin/frontend/default/default/css/

Magento Community
Magento Community

npn2531

Total Posts:  21

To add specifics to jballotti answer, once you get to the css folder open up reset.css.  Look for ‘body’, most likely the first line.  ‘color’ is the website background, and you can guess at the rest, px and em will refer to font size. Now you have to peruse the 1500 lines of this file, the boxes.css file, and the rest of the files in the CSS folder to find where to change the text of the many, many other text elements in Magento.

In those two files alone, menu.css and boxes.css, not only can you change the text but the entire look of the site, dramatically or horribly depending on your expertise. Keep backups of those files so you can always get back to square one.

Knowing how use CSS is a huge subject, but really one that us non-programmers can grasp relatively quickly. There isn’t really a lot of deep logic, just experiment, replace stuff and see what happens, buy some books on the subject, and learn how to use the search function in your editor.

Go to http://www.csszengarden.com/. Here they demonstrate a taste of what you can do with a website by doing nothing more than changing a single css file. You can do the same sort of stuff in Magento.

Please forgive the elementary nature of my answer, but your question is similar to one I would have asked a few months ago before I began learning the basics of CSS.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

I would also suggest installing FireFox and the firebug plugin. It will allow you to right click on any part of your page and “Inspect” to find out where the elements are being constructed as well as changing the values to see (in real time) what effect it would have (ie. hmm what would it look like at 10 versus 12 or 14)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andrewfo

Total Posts:  2

Thanks so much for your counsel on this, guys! The learning curve initially is so steep but once over the hump, I can see it will be a lot easier.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community