Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

about multiple websites and stores

kingrrr

Total Posts:  6

Hi,

I’m new to ecommerce and i want to be sure that i understand the multiple websites and stores functionnalty.

Does this functionnalty could be applied on this scenario :

I have a company (abc.com) with two stores, one for used items and another for news items.
These two stores will have differents ad, products, categories but will need to share the same customers and some perhaps (such a special categorie).
I’ll have a second and thihrd company (def.com, ghi.com).  These two others companies will not need to share any informations.

Another question, in the previous scenario, all website and companies are mines.  But in the case i offer my services for building ecommerce solutions with magento, do you recommend to install once and configure multiple websites or i need to install one magento per customer?  What are the advantages/disadvantages ?

Many thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

Hi there,
First of all your understanding of running multiple sites is correct. You can share as little and as much data as you need.
I would install separate magento instances for each of your customers.

I am a little concerned that you are talking about offering ecommerce services to your customers when you stated that you are new to ecommerce yourself. Just my 2c

smile
Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

kingrrr

Total Posts:  6

Thanks Ajazza for your answers.

I know that i need to invest time on magento and read about ecommerce before offering ecommerce services.  It’s why i’ll begin with my own stores.  If you have tips or books/website suggestions i’ll appreciated.

I’m a ti manager and i’ld like to preach open source solutions when l’ll start my company in a few months.  I’m looking to offer ecommerce based on magento, alternatives business applications such openoffice (deployment and formation) and i’m still looking for a web site creation tool such joomla.  Any recommandations ?

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

Not that this is the forum for it… but I would suggest that you stay away from Joomla! as they are having problems with their license at the moment -

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community