Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Error tolerant search, or generation button for attributes

readmanr

Total Posts:  29
Yorkshire, England, Great Britain, United Kingdom

Magento supports extra search keywords to be added to find the product, this is done manually.

i.e. you sell a “Walking Stick” you could add “Crutch” to the attribute so that both returned a product in the search.

My idea for a feature is along these lines but for “Error tolerant searching”.

Please see this online tool… http://tools.seobook.com/spelling/keywords-typos.cgi

If you enter the keyword “walking stick” it generates typo’s/miss-spelling such as…

alking stick
wlking stick
waking stick
(and hundreds more...)

Could a feature be added so that it could scan the product in the areas it would use for the search and apply this automatically?

This would improve magentos search feature tremendously.

What do you all think? Anyone want to start developing?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sdeckert

Total Posts:  8
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seeing how this will work best in MySql we need to make sure there is reason to justify the work. That being said, if you can find more people with interest in it I wouldn’t mind doing the development and releasing it (for free).

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community