Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Lite Version

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

I’m really loving magento so far, but I do have a few problems with it.

Is there a light version in the works? Right now the program is like using a sledgehammer to do the work of a feather. It is way overkill on the options, it is going to take months to configure when it could be made easy enough to take a day at most. It would be really nice if you guys could give the option to simplify this monster.

Items I don’t need:
Languages, Locale, Currency, Nested themes (I don’t need layouts, templates, and skins, I just need 1 for all)
multiple shops/stores
Customer groups (only 1 type of customer, its the online retail kind)
Polls
Tags
Related products
Meta Information
Seperate template options for everything
User management (if its for a small store, there will only ever be 1 admin/user)
scheduling (price/sales, active from/to, newsletter)
gift stuff
tax rules (just need an option to turn on or off taxes, we only sell 1 type of item)
search (prefer it if the customer cant search, though that is easy enough to change via templates)
wishlist
send a product to a friend
paypal
google checkout
check
cc without payment gateway

I would love to see magento take on more of a wordpress feel to it
That is, it has a core module, and then it has widgets/plugins. If you want all of those features listed, you download them and add them on to the core, or have checkmark boxes asking during setup if you need these features.

I guess what i am trying to say is that it is needlessly complex for anyone running a small operation

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

magento is an enterprise level e-commerce solution. if you want something much simpler, there are tons of other ‘easier’ e-commerce applications to choose from.

besides, all of the aforementioned ‘items you don’t need’ can easily be disabled as magento is designed to be modular. that being said, i do believe there is a ‘lite’ version in the works although looking at your list of items you don’t need, it seems like you’re not even looking for an e-commerce application?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

sdb - 07 March 2008 10:02 AM

it is going to take months to configure when it could be made easy enough to take a day at most.

Items I don’t need:
Languages, Locale, Currency, Nested themes (I don’t need layouts, templates, and skins, I just need 1 for all)
multiple shops/stores
Customer groups (only 1 type of customer, its the online retail kind)
Polls
Tags
Related products
Meta Information
Seperate template options for everything
User management (if its for a small store, there will only ever be 1 admin/user)
scheduling (price/sales, active from/to, newsletter)
gift stuff
tax rules (just need an option to turn on or off taxes, we only sell 1 type of item)
search (prefer it if the customer cant search, though that is easy enough to change via templates)
wishlist
send a product to a friend
paypal
google checkout
check
cc without payment gateway

Um… wow.  You know there’s a page with Enable/Disable pulldowns where you can turn off 90% of this list.  The other stuff like user manager… don’t use it if you don’t need it.  I’m not using any of the stuff you’ve mentioned here and it hasn’t added any time onto the setup of the store.  I really don’t understand how *not* using something adds months onto not using it....

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Go get a Yahoo store then. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community