<
br class="clearer" />

In Firefox on Mac this breaks my markup and is resulting in this:

<class="last_item">
    <
br class="clearer">
</
a>

From this point the <a> element shows up everywhere in my markup even though I defined it just once....

The error is ownly visible in generated source code via Firebug not in “normal” source-code view of the page. Is this caused by the XML-parsing of magento or do I miss something else?

Regards

Frederik

Edit: I use the code in one of my phtml files. In templates/page/html/header.phtml

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

what the heck is “<a class="last_item" />” ???

Magento Community
Magento Community

kirederf

Total Posts:  10

<div id="main-nav">
        <
class="bc_blue" href="<?=$this->getBaseUrl()."something1";?>">Something1</a>
        <
class="bc_blue" href="<?=$this->getBaseUrl()."something2";?>">Something2</a>
        <
class="bc_blue" href="<?=$this->getBaseUrl()."something3";?>">Something3</a>
        <
class="last_item" />
        <
br class="clearer" />
</
div>

It’s the end of a link list used to attach a different background image.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

Self closing anchor tags are not legal in HTML, only in XHTML.  But I can guarantee you that you are not using XHTML.  Just because you write your HTML as XHTML does not trigger any browser to render your work as XHTML.  I thought everybody knew this…

The only way to get firefox to turn on xhtml rendering is to send a “Content-Type xhtml+xml” header.  But, this doesn’t work in any other browser (konq, IE, safari, opera).  For those you need to send “Content-Type: application/xml”.  Plus, for IE you need to include an XSL sheet that converts your true XML (application/xml) into XHTML locally on the browser.  Another reason why I’m pretty sure you’re not using XHTML.  If ever there is any error anywhere in the entire document (like a bad product description, malicious, malformed user reviews) the entire page fails to render and you’re left with 1 giant error pointing you to the line and column that is incorrect.  You’d probably be locked out of the page that would even allow you to fix such “bad” input from the admin screen. 

XHTML is a joke and it doesn’t work.  I seriously thought I was the last person to figure this out.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community