Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

It is getting confusing: multi language in combination with multi TLD`s and multi Store views. 

marcelv91

Total Posts:  29

Hello,

I have been researching a lot on what is the best setup for multi language. Conlusion, there is nog best, it all depends. But still a few questions are confusing me:

- I have read, to have Google index your website in seperate languages, you use domain.com/uk, domain.com/nl, and so on. Because with the default storeview options (domain.com/?___store=english&___from_store=dutch) it seems that Google on Google.com as well on Google.nl will just index your default store.  But if I would use this: domain.com/fr, domain.com/nl, how would i install/configure this in magento? I have to install them seperately, but connect to one database? How can i configure the main store to switch to /fr or /nl instead of using the ?__store=

- Furthermore, I have bought a few domains (.be, .nl, .com), is it smart to link thos to domain.com?store= or domain.com/fr, or should I just do nothing with those domains.

I really hope someone can clearify this, also from the point of SEO. I have been searching a lot and it gets more and more confusing because of all the different opions in each topic

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

marcelv91

Total Posts:  29

Thank you for your answer.

I am going to setup my own webshop, and will definetely use multiple TLD`s, with differten url, and content. This however, is a webshop for a client, and has to be a webshop which does differ only in translation. Most of it will stay the same.

So I think I will set up folders for each domain (/nl , /uk). I read an article http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/multi-store_set_up/multiple_website_setup_with_different_document_roots , which clearly explains how to do this, including have search robots find you. Is that tutorial still accurate/usable for magento 1.7?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community