Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Using different domains for multiple stores in one Magento setup? 

mr_dimsum

Total Posts:  35

Hello,

I am well aware that Magento allows the use of running multiple stores under one setup. I was wondering, however, is that whether it was possible or not to have the stores resolve to different domain names? I recall the CMS DotNetNuke had allowed something of this nature to work, and was wondering whether or not this was possible with Magento, as it would save a ton of time and would provide higher productivity and convenience.

I will be running 3 stores, with all of them completely independent from each other. It is all ran by the same company and shares one same warehouse, so it would make sense to have them all under one setup.

We are currently running on a high-end hosted account that allows for multiple domain names to be used, so I figured this may or may not work. Furthermore, in the short future (within 6 months) we may be bringing a server into a datacenter for co-location.

Any help is appreciated!

Danny

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

diri

Total Posts:  48

Resolving different domains to same IP address while providing same content is nothing you really want whenever you want to be sure to be at a reasonable rank in search engines.

Far better would be to have really different site names and different content i.e. while introducing special shops which are not available at every site (cross-linking is not bad).

Magento Community
Magento Community

sankaman2k

Total Posts:  13

I’m looking for an answer to this as well. I will have multiple domains and each will be a different web site. The content of each site will be different, but the products will be the same.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mootrealm

Total Posts:  150
San Francisco, CA

Yes. Magento can do this. It is actually one of the features that makes Magento so brilliant and innovative. You run multiple stores, each with their own URL and their own unique design.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

Total Posts:  482
aa, mi, us

Moshe answered a similar question for me in http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/3975/
Worked like a charm.  Perhaps this will help you as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community