Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Large digital download products fail to complete download

DDMAN

Total Posts:  179

Hi everyone,

I’m running Magento 1.3.1 and have a substantial amount of digital download products.

I thought everything was running great but I’ve had mutliple customers complain that there digital files could not be downloaded. I did some testing and realized that some of my digital products that are zip files are not completing the download.

Example: One zip file is full of mp3 files and is about 52 MB. I click the download link and the download starts and I save it to my computer. Then it gets to about 50 MB and stops and says the download is complete. If I try to open the file it says it is corrupt and cannot be opened.

so if I use the exact url to the download (not clicking the encrypted link from within my email or my magento account) but simply put the full url that I know to the digital zip file and download it… it works great. the complete file downloads and the file opens and no corruption.

Something is going on with magento and how it is downloading the products… is it closing the connection before it can complete, is it counting it as a download (I limit all my downloads to 5) and because of the counting mechanism is it terminating the download too soon...?

I’ve tried using safari and Firefox on a mac without luck and my customers are using windows IE and windows firefox.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Please advise

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

A quick update.

I’ve pinpointed that if the file is over 50 MB it stops at 50.1 MB regardless of the file. If the file is under 50 MB it is fine. I’m not sure why this is yet. I’m assuming since if I do the direct url to the file it downloads fine that it has something to do with how magento is handling the download and not my server/host.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

cntbill

Total Posts:  107
PA

By chance is your host using LiteSpeed? 

My site for downloadable products was working fine until my host upgraded to LiteSpeed, and now I have the same issue as you, through Magento DL stops, but put the file url in the browser and download works fine.

I changed and edited my .htaccess file and php.ini to no avail, as it don’t seem to make much of a difference with the LiteSpeed server and php.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

I will check with my host on this and see.

I did test on a different website that I run with the same version 1.3.1 and with a file that is over 50 MB and it did work as a download so now I’m back to thinking it is something with my host and it sounds like litespeed might be the issue

Magento Community
Magento Community

cntbill

PA

DDMAN,

If you don’t mind post back what you find out from your host as it would be interesting to know if the problem is because of LiteSpeed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

Total Posts:  796

A couple of other considerations for you.

Curious if that 50MB number is a hard value or based on average time it takes for the download to time out.

Since the downloadable files get run through an obfuscating script,is that script timing out based on something like max_execution_time perhaps? If you increase the time allowed for PHP scripts to run does it affect the behavior at all?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cntbill

PA

skippybosco - 06 May 2009 06:12 PM

A couple of other considerations for you.

Curious if that 50MB number is a hard value or based on average time it takes for the download to time out.

Since the downloadable files get run through an obfuscating script,is that script timing out based on something like max_execution_time perhaps? If you increase the time allowed for PHP scripts to run does it affect the behavior at all?

Below are the lines in my .htaccess file I have that deal with file size, time, etc. From what I understand my php.ini does not work/load with Litespeed.  These settings worked fine until my host updated to LiteSpeed.  Also my host has been looking into the problem, but has not come up with a solution as of yet.

php_value memory_limit 640M
php_value max_execution_time 72000
php_value max_input_time 72000
php_value upload_max_filesize 390M
php_value upload_tmp_dir /tmp
php_value post_max_size 400M
php_value Enable dl() = On

v1.3.0 - Blue Theme

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

Currently my host is thinking it is a Magento issue but based on the reports here I am still thinking its a web server configuration issue. My host is still reviewing the issue

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

My host is simplehelix and they are running litespeed.

They report that they have received sporadic reports of problems when transferring files over https within Magento. Some people seem to be affected by it and some are not.

So I’m not sure what this means.

Simple Helix needs some direction and I’m not sure what else to offer them to try to resolve this issue.

Any advise from anyone?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cntbill

PA

DDman,

Well my host has yet to find a solution, sorry to say.

I am convinced it is a litespeed issue, as prior to the litespeed install that my host did I had no problems with uploads or downloads, except for having to edit my php.ini file to allow the large files. My solution since my site sell downloadable products I am just giving up on Magento

Good luck though

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

If you want to rule out Magento you could try to see if you can reproduce the issue with another PHP script such as PHP Easy Downloader, Smart File Download or the Universal PHP Download script. They all essentially do the same thing of obfuscating the direct link of the file via PHP.

If they exhibit the same symptoms you can at least narrow the focus of the troubleshooting.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cntbill

PA

skippybosco - 12 May 2009 08:58 PM

If you want to rule out Magento you could try to see if you can reproduce the issue with another PHP script such as PHP Easy Downloader, Smart File Download or the Universal PHP Download script. They all essentially do the same thing of obfuscating the direct link of the file via PHP.

If they exhibit the same symptoms you can at least narrow the focus of the troubleshooting.

Good point…

I installed three separate shopping carts that supported downloadable products to verify if it was just Magento or not.  My test results all pointed to LiteSpeed as all the large http downloads failed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

I would suggest trying to reproduce the issue with the Universal PHP download script which is like 10 lines of code. If you can, the host would be able to troubleshoot it easier since you have essentially removed any variables from the mix and it comes down to host configuration (php, apache, litespeed, etc)

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

Last night I posted the LiteSpeed forums looking for answers as well. No answers yet but there is some discussion on the topic worth sharing.

Here is the link to the forum thread at litespeed with regards to static files not completing. It appears this issue occurs on other applications (like joomla)

http://www.litespeedtech.com/support/forum/showthread.php?p=15090

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

Great news everyone.

SimpleHelix was able to find the setting in Litespeed and fix the issue!

Here is what they said

“It was a setting for litespeed under I believe it was “Tuning” for “max post size” was 50M set this to 1000M (the max)

Now my downloads are working great!

Props to SimpleHelix for taking the time and effort to dig deep and find the issue!

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

Nice Job!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2