Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Free Sample w/ Flat Shipping? 

ForgetHangovers

Total Posts:  83
Maryland, USA

Two “Free Sample” questions:

How do I create a product that is a “Free Sample” (i.e. Price is normally $3, but special price is $0) that will automatically add $2.25 to the shipping totals (no matter how many other items are in the cart and/or the other items qualify for FREE SHIPPING)?

For example, lets say the customer has $50 worth of product in their cart (which qualifies them for FREE SHIPPING), but they also have a “Free Sample” item in their cart, so the shipping total should work out to be $2.25.

Also how can I limit the customer to only have 1 “Free Sample” product in their cart per order.  So that they can’t add more then 1 “Free Sample” to their cart/order.

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ForgetHangovers

Maryland, USA

:bump:
Is this possible question

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

In answer to #2, simply go to your Inventory tab and set the maximum qty allowed in shopping cart to “1” ... as for the other one, let me do some digging. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Waterloo, ON

Unfortunately promotions only allow you to discount, not to add anything—what if you just charged $2.25 for the sample and noted in the details that it was just to cover the shipping? Probably not ideal, but it is an option. You will have to do some custom coding in order to achieve exactly what you are wanting to do.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ForgetHangovers

Maryland, USA

sherrie - 08 May 2009 06:24 AM

Unfortunately promotions only allow you to discount, not to add anything—what if you just charged $2.25 for the sample and noted in the details that it was just to cover the shipping? Probably not ideal, but it is an option. You will have to do some custom coding in order to achieve exactly what you are wanting to do.

Thanks for your help sherrie.

I guess I can make my free sample cost $2.25, although it’s not the optimal solution I can live with it…

The problem I am now having is how would I go about setting up a “Shopping Cart Price Rule” so that if the customer has the “Free Sample” in his/her cart they aren’t being charged for shipping (as that would be a double charge since the product price is essentially already the shipping charge)?

Furthermore, what happens if a customer has a free sample PLUS another item that doesn’t qualify for free shipping, how will my cart rule know to still charge for shipping ONLY on that other item and not on both the “FREE SAMPLE” & the other item?

ohh
This is starting to get very confusing I know, please let me know if you want me to expand on this further, or if you understand what I am asking?

Thanks again for all your help Sherri.
-Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Waterloo, ON

Alright, here’s what I figured out. Setup a shopping cart rule and in the actions tell it to give free shipping for matching items only and then set the conditions on that same page to only the sku of the sample.

What this does is enable the free shipping if that is the only item in the cart. Otherwise it does not factor it into the total shipping.

If you look at http://www.minervapromotions.com/test I have it setup right now with Michi 9 being your sample. If you add just it to the cart you’ll see the Free Shipping option. If you add another option you’ll see that the Flat Rate is still only $5.00 as it is set per item. If you change it to two additional items, the Flat Rate changes to $10.00 ...

For whatever reason this is not registering with the custom shipping extension on there (Festival ISU is still charging per item including the sample), only the built in one. So if you’re using a custom extension this might not work for you. I’m not sure how it would respond to table rates either (shipping based on order total) as I don’t have them set up on there. You’ll have to play around a little.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ForgetHangovers

Maryland, USA

Thanks for all your help sherrie,

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been out-of-town.
There is still a problem, the “Free Shipping” option is still active even though there are multiple items in the cart (that don’t qualify for free shipping).

I see from your sample you were able to get this to work, but I think my shopping cart price rules aren’t cutting it, here is what I have set for the conditions

If ALL   of these conditions are TRUE  :

* If 
an item is FOUND   in the cart with ALL   of these conditions true:

o SKU  is   FreeSample01 Apply
But anytime I add the “FreeSample01” item to the cart the “FreeShipping” option appears even if there are other items that DON’T qualify for free shipping.

What am I doing wrong here?
Thanks again,
-Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

ForgetHangovers

Maryland, USA

Nevermind, I figured it out…
I needed to apply it to the “Actions” as well.
Thanks again :-D

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community