Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Drop down boxes at checkout…

UMinuto

Total Posts:  6

Hi everybody,

I am using Magento to run a prescription glasses online store. I need two drop down fields for right eye and left eye. The fields have totally different values, and could be two different combinations so it’s not possible to create them as simple products, then attach them to a configurable product.

Is there anyway we could use drop down boxes at checkout, and the data would be e-mailed to us, as the drop down box’s would have no change in the actual item cost?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for such a wonderful script/app.

Regards

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

davedavedave

Total Posts:  238

I’d be interested in something like this as well...but more along the lines of a user checking something that says they agree to our terms.

As for what you’re saying...it sounds like you would be able to set what you want up using configurable products.  Create two attributes for left-eye and right-eye....and then there will be two drop downs when you are adding a product to your cart.

Magento Community
Magento Community

UMinuto

The problem is, the left and right eye can be totally different and their are many different numbers to choose from. So it would just be unreasonable to create a simple product for each then attach to the configurable product.

I’d much rather prefer just having a drop down for right/left eye on checkout and then the value the user selects gets e-mailed through on the order as their would be no change in cost anyway.

Anyone have any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

davedavedave

Actually I’d be interested in this too.  There are situations like this where you would need way too many options to create a product for each one.  Are there any recommendations from the Magento team on this?

It’s more along the lines of not actually have attributes that are separate products, but just things that are FYI for the store owner regarding the owner.

Magento Community
Magento Community

UMinuto

Yes agreed, I’d like any recommendations from Magento on this if they could. I need to get the store finished by Sunday, and it is vital the store owner has these details on orders placed. In fact it’s a legal requirement. If anyone who’s how to, or could do this for us.

Please get back to me as soon as possible - thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

davedavedave

UMinuto - 07 March 2008 07:10 AM

Yes agreed, I’d like any recommendations from Magento on this if they could. I need to get the store finished by Sunday, and it is vital the store owner has these details on orders placed. In fact it’s a legal requirement. If anyone who’s how to, or could do this for us.

Please get back to me as soon as possible - thanks!

You do realize that Magento is not even a stable release just yet.  Especially if it’s a client, I would highly suggest not using Magento at this point. 

Please keep in mind: Magento is currently in a preview release and not recommended for use in production environments.

Magento Community
Magento Community

UMinuto

Thank you on explanation, but is there anyway to create a text field instead? Would this be a possibility?

Thank you.

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community