Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to integrate dynamic menu options with configurable products? 

Hadez

Total Posts:  14

Hi everyone.  I’m fairly new to Magento and have been able to find most answers on the forums, but this questions has pretty much lead me to no solution as of yet.

Assume you create a configurable product and associate 3 simple products with it and works fine.  The issue I’m having is when one of those simple products gets edited later with an additional option, it completely disappears from the associated list.

Example:

Product is Widget.  Once clicked you can configure options such as 3 colors: Red, Blue and Black.  So far so good.

Now, let’s say that there is a special option when choosing black where a customer gets 1 extra feature available: Glossy or Matte

When I add the custom radio button in the simple product for Black Widgets, it disappears from the associated list from Widget.  My goal is to have a that radio option to dynamically appear if a user chose ‘Black”.  Any way to do this?

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

Haven’t tried this, but does reassociating the edited simple product with the configurable product not fix it?

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hadez

I thought the same thing...problem is that the product no longer shows up on the list on the bottom like the rest of them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

You may have to search for it.
On the ‘associated products’ page of your configurable product, down the bottom where the associated simple products are listed, change the left most column to “Any” then search for your edited simple product (the one with the changed attribute), then tick the left column to associate it again.

Least, that’s how it works for me.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hadez

Hi Neil, thanks for your input.

Unfortunately the product only shows up under products and is not shown under a search....weird.  Any clues as to why?

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

That is strange.
Perhaps the main difference between you and me is that I use this extension for configurable products:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/596/simple-configurable-products

But I don’t think it changes what we’ve been discussing.

I’ll try doing what you are doing and report back a little later.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

Just tried what you are doing, and had no problem. The simple product remained in the list of Associated Products and worked as expected.
BUT - I added the extra attribute using the ‘Add Attribute’ button within the simple product itself.

So I wonder if it makes any difference *where* you add the attribute?
I would normally add the attribute in the Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes
and then add that attribute to the attribute set used by the simple product. But I haven’t tried that yet… wink

Anyhow, really just documenting what I did try, and I’ll see what else turns up when I have a little more time.

BTW - what version of Magento are you using?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hadez

I’m using version 1.3.1

Perhaps the problem is that I’m adding ‘custom options’ in the actual simple product.....?

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

Hi Hadez,
I’m on 1.2.1 - but I don’t *think* that should make a big difference…

You are adding the custom option in the right place, but obviosuly something is going astray.
If I have the chance today, I’ll create a new configurable product and associated simple products, doing as you have described, and document the process…

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community