Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

issues with postcodes on table rate shipping

simonbaby

Total Posts:  8

Hi,
I am having a problem when setting up the table rates for shipping.
Firstly i shall explain what i am trying to achieve-

Like everyone else on e-commerce, we have light products and heavy products.
Everything that is less than 2kg can be sent abroad and to uk off-mainland for normal money.
Everything over 2kg that is going abroad or uk off- mainland needs to be charged extra.
i know that royal mail will ship 1st class anywhere with a postcode over 2kg but this is the benchmark we are going to set.

I want to set all items that are over 2kg and that are purchased by an address outside of the couriers standard rate boundary to a higher rate. This way, when a heavy item is bought off-mainland, i can afford to ship it by courier.
I have a spreadsheet from them with all the uk postcodes in this format - eg: HP22 8 - not the full postcode.

I export the csv file, add the postcodes, etc.. then import.
The european settings work fine. It recognises the countries and adjusts the price accordingly.

But, when i purchase something from UK and put in my full postcde eg HP22 8BB it does not recognise it. It only recognises exactly what is put into the database.
For example - if the postcode region is set to raise rates on HP18 and i put in checkout HP18 8GG the price is not converted. The checkout only converts the price when there is an exact match with the postcode and the spreadsheet.
I tried putting in the full postcodes into the database and this then works except if the database format is HP22 8BB and i put in checkout HP228BB (no space) then it does not recognise it!!!

AAAAArrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh

Do I have to put in all the postcodes in full format with and without space to overcome this or is there a way round it on excel. I have tried using HP22* but this does not work.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Simon

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

See community extension Auctionmaid Matrixrate - The multiple tablerates via csv file solution.

This has full support for UK postcodes (it was written originally for the UK marketplace), and comes complete with documentation and examples.

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

drewclarke

Total Posts:  17

The Matrixrate plugin is first class and will save you a big headache.

Magento Community
Magento Community

simonbaby

Total Posts:  8

yes, this works great, now selling to europe with no problems as well as uk off-mainland, everyone is charged the correct amount for their weight and customers know exactly how much delivery is without having to contact us for a quote.

well done matrixrate.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bmwjackson

Total Posts:  2

Here is one for u..

I want to ship product that vary in weight from 10 grams to 1 tonne ... products upto 70kg will go by roal mail or courier with a flat rate by weight and where in the country, products over 70 kg will be delivred by pallet with different rates for certain parts of the country… is there away of relating a postcode and a weight to a shipping cost and add that cost to the product price so that the customer just sees the total price rather than the product price and delivery cost?

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

The actual calculation of shipping based on postcode is very simple to do.

The merging of product price and shipping price is very difficult as firstly you wont know the postcode until they have entered it, which isn’t usually until checkout.  Plus you are then into changing prices for items, which isn’t so easy as it’s calculated on the fly at many different points in the code.  I think it would be quite confusing for the customer personally, and would take a fair amount of development for not that much benefit.  So personally I’d stick with separate pricing.

But I’m sure you could find a way to do it, nothing is impossible!

Rgds

Karen

bmwjackson - 18 October 2009 06:45 AM

Here is one for u..

I want to ship product that vary in weight from 10 grams to 1 tonne ... products upto 70kg will go by roal mail or courier with a flat rate by weight and where in the country, products over 70 kg will be delivred by pallet with different rates for certain parts of the country… is there away of relating a postcode and a weight to a shipping cost and add that cost to the product price so that the customer just sees the total price rather than the product price and delivery cost?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brian2

Total Posts:  59
Harrogate, North Yourshire, UK

I wrote some code for another platform in c# which worked on refining the user input.  First it removed spaces (either before after or in the middle of the postcode, and then removed the last three digits (the second half of UK postcodes are always three digits, the first part can vary). In this way I could distinguish between CF2 9RB and CF29 6RB (as the first postcode became CF2 and the second CF29, regardless of any spaces included by the user.

I would like to convert the code to php and include it in a Magento store. Please can anyone direct me to the code that handles the user postcode input so that I can modify it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jsmith2008

Total Posts:  1

Hi,

I have the same issue with magento not recognizing partial postcodes.
For Canada I am trying to use M*, to receognzie codes like M4B1B4 (with or without spaces)
and it does NOt work

I downloaded the free extension, but Dont know how to specify smthng like M*, to undersatnd anyything that begins with M?

Thank you for any help

Magento Community
Magento Community

PowercutUK

Total Posts:  65
Carmarthen, Wales, UK

Thank you very much Karen for a wonderful extension.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community