Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Accessing Product Data In Specific Views

leetaylordoes

Total Posts:  227
San Diego, CA

Hi All,

We’re just getting ready to implement a feature with Magento that helps with integration of 3rd party tools. A bit more specifically though, and on a technical note, we’re wanting to override the core Magento functionality to access this class via multiple views like the following:

+ Category View
+ Product Detail View
+ Wishlist View
+ My Cart view
+ Checkout View
+ Search Results View
+ Sidebar View
+ ...
(basically anytime images get generated)

I was thinking of writing a class, and adding a block to access that class inside the different XML files within the theme to access the Product object and productCollection data (such as attributes, etc.), though I wanted to mention this and then open up the dialogue for a “best approach” from the community.

If you think you’ve got a better solution or an idea in mind, feel free to mention it towards the benefit of the Magento community.

Towards the end, we’ll offer the solution that we’ve implemented.

Cheers,
Lee

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community