Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Orders, Invoices, Shipments & Credit Memo’s

Shpigford

Total Posts:  171
Denver, CO

@Shpigford - I am trying to understand your argument. You argue that they’ve created something so sophisticated that you can’t figure out (and the rest of the community) and it is Varien’s fault? You have options for alternate ecommerce systems (in fact many options) - why don’t you use those? If you can’t figure it out - its probably a better fit for you anyway. Or take a class / training. Expand your skills.

Did Varien force you to join the community? Nope. We are all here voluntarily. Some of us want to learn, others plan to use Magento, etc. Why do you think Varien needs to teach you or anyone else? Isn’t the role of the community to interact and participate? Who have you taught everything you learned about Magento (or your business, your products sourcing, etc.). Let’s be real - all of us here are extracting value out of this product, including you @Shpigford. It’s just that people like you like to get it all for free (support and consulting options are available, as I am sure you know, but I bet you ain’t going to pay a penny).

No, I’m arguing that Varien initially pushed the “open source-ness” of Magento and how great that was but then failed to teach the very community that ultimately needs to support the fact that it’s open source.

I don’t recall you ever meeting me or having a conversation with me, so implying that I’m a freeloader is pure ignorance on your part. I’m more than glad to pay for software and I actually have been talking to quite a few Magento consultants to get stuff done for us.

We’ve clearly got fundamentally different opinions on how we think Magento is handling this and we’re both entitled to have those opinions, but seriously, don’t show up in a post as a new community member and try to tear people down with “people like you...” statements. It’s immature and makes you look like an idiot.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mrmeech

Total Posts:  58
New York City, USA

Sooooooooo, bickering aside, i’m quite interested in going back to the initial discussion on this topic with regard to authorize.net refunds ---- i’m currently on 1.1.8 (planning a move to 1.2.0.1 this month) and refunds to the authorize.net gateway seem to still not work…

Does anyone have ANY insight into this? Perhaps someone has read or heard whether or not Varien is going to re-incorporate this functionality into refunds? Is everyone just doing double duty, creating a credit memo and then logging into the authorize.net gateway and hunting down the order to be refunded?

Magento Community
Magento Community

justbeez

Total Posts:  7

We also need the ability to issue online refunds through Authorize.net . . . could anyone from the Magento team please comment on whether this has been fixed in 1.2.0.x or 1.2.1?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jlaha

Total Posts:  12

Justin Beasley - 17 February 2009 08:27 AM

We also need the ability to issue online refunds through Authorize.net . . . could anyone from the Magento team please comment on whether this has been fixed in 1.2.0.x or 1.2.1?

I’m on Magento 1.2.1 and credit memos do not automatically get refunded through Authorize.net… you have to do it manually as stated in a previous post in this thread.  I found this thread looking for the same answer.

Anyone know if 1.3.0 works? grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

leetaylordoes

Total Posts:  227
San Diego, CA

Hi @jlaha,

I’m working on figuring out a solution to this here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/39346/

Hopefully we can determine what is needed in order to issue credit’s online, as I believe some have the ability to do it successfully and some don’t. I do believe it’s possible to issue credits with Authorize.net as an online transaction though.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chanchel

Total Posts:  43

I was wondering if anyone has found anything new?  I was reading this wiki (http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/welcome_to_the_magento_user_s_guide/chapter_8) and it makes it sound like you need to invoice the item before issuing a credit memo.  However, the credit card is billed prior to invoicing so it doesn’t make much sense.  We had to go into Authorize.net’s panel to issue the credits, I would love another solution.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Orange County, CA

On our install (perhaps others are different), Magento first creates an invoice automatically, then processes it with Authorize.net.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chanchel

Total Posts:  43

That’s good to know.  Hopefully someone has a solution or we could get people to stop returning product.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

zzb

Total Posts:  1

Is this still an open issue?  Does Magento community version now communicate REFUND info to Auth.net automatically?  Or is it still manual?

Magento Community
Magento Community

walltoolsllc

Total Posts:  146

OK… here is some interesting news about the whole Credit Memo and Authorize.net deal.  I just noticed that orders that come through that have already been invoiced and paid via Authorize.net cannot be issued a Credit Memo that specifies the actual “Qty to Refund” field.  So… you cannot even tell Magento how many of what items need to be issued a refund.

For example, let’s say that you sold three line items;

4 - Bar Stools
1 - Dart Board
4 - Wine Glasses

The order has been paid for using Authorize.net.  Now, the customers wants to return the Dart Board.  You should be able to create a Credit Memo and specifiy the “Qty to Refund” field as 1 for the Dart Board line item, and 0 for the other line items.  You cannot do this when using Authorize.net.  At least we cannot… not now. 

However, I have other checkout methods enabled on our site and the Credit Memo seems to work fine.  For example, we also offer Purchase Order as a method of payment, and orders using this method actually allow us to define the “Qty to Refund” on the Credit Memo.

If anyone has the same problem, please let me know how to fix this.  90% of our orders are purchased on a Credit Card and we cannot issue the proper Credit Memos.  I’m not even talking about a streamlined integration where it’s automatically done on Auth.net… I’m simply talking within Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2