Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Orders, Invoices, Shipments & Credit Memo’s

peterw83

Total Posts:  44

Can we get some further explanation or documentation how the sales modules work.

More specifically the credit memo’s and how they work with payment modules like Authorize.net. 

I assume when a credit memo is created it connects with authorize.net to issue a refund?  Is this done just by the transaction id information or is the credit card info stored in the DB?

And to follow that thought if an order is “edited” in the admin and something is added or removed from the order that changes the order total will this adjustment automatically be handled in authorize.net so the customer is charged for the correct amount?

These question are posed specifically for authorize.net using “Authorize Only” instead of “capture”.

thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sdfsdfdsfsdf
Magento Team

Total Posts:  4

When creating a credit memo for an order created using a third party payment gateway such as authorize.net, Magento will connect with that gateway if you click “Refund” to complete the credit memo. However, you can also click “Refund Offline” which will complete the credit memo without connecting to the gateway. If connecting to the gateway, the transaction is identified using the transaction id.

When editing an order, the credit card information from the original order is not transfered to the new order form. The user will have to re-enter this information, and therefore the new edited order will be sent to the gateway as a separate transaction. So it’s not really an adjustment from the perspective of the gateway, as there is no relation between the original and the edit, and you can increase or decrease the order total. All non-invoiced quantity from the original invoice will be canceled in Magento so that the customer will not be charged twice for the same items.

Magento Community
Magento Community

traviswu

Total Posts:  31

I have tried again with the newest Magento 1.0.19870.4 (June 18, 2008), so far I have tested refund and here are the results:

- google checkout: refund works (at least with the sandbox)
- authorize.net: nop. still not working. (dont see the refund at authorize.net )

also I dont see “refund offline” button under “credit memo” . it seems only exist for GCO.  checkout the screencap here.
http://screencast.com/t/lt1tkkw9utj

Is the refund working with authorize.net for this version?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdfsdfdsfsdf
Magento Team

Total Posts:  4

@traviswu:

Magento functionality has changed a bit since that last post. With the version you are running, Magento does not support online refunds out-of-the-box EXCEPT for Google Checkout. This may change in the future. For now, the refund you make in Magento for a gateway such as Authorize.net will be an offline record, and you will need to place the online refund directly through the gateway.

For more information about these features, including information about the questions you addressed, please visit the following section of the Magento User Guide:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/welcome_to_the_magento_user_s_guide/chapter_8#credit_memo_options

Magento Community
Magento Community

B2Bweb

Total Posts:  2
Dallas, TX

@David at Varien:  Has this been changed for the upcoming 1.1 release- Does Magento support the other online refunds?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Orange County, CA

BUMP!

Any news on the Authorize.net automatic refunds through the admin?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

alkarim
Guru

Total Posts:  368

Hi there, refund at magento is not working for authorized.net

Is there any solution for this ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

salbertson

Total Posts:  27

Why can’t we get answers on this? Also what is the reason behind collecting CC info again when editing orders? Why can’t the edit be more seamless and reuse the CC info from the original order?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jimmypalmer

Total Posts:  79

Any updates on the refund with authrorize.net?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shpigford

Total Posts:  171
Denver, CO

I’d love an answer on this as well but I haven’t had a reply from a Magento developer to any posts in months.

I’m seriously starting to question their commitment to this software.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dekard

Total Posts:  80

Shpigford - 23 October 2008 12:27 PM

I’d love an answer on this as well but I haven’t had a reply from a Magento developer to any posts in months.

I’m seriously starting to question their commitment to this software.

They are quite committed. But only to responding to customers who are paying for support. Everyone else is dumped into the forums where it is strictly community support. You will not see an answer from anyone on the Magento team to a forum post on a technical issue, even when they know the answer....

I spoke to Magento on this matter and the response was we’re in business to make money, not provide free support for our users. So, the software may be licensed under an open source license but the company behind it doesn’t seem to believe in typical open source standards on user support. Conflict of interests, really.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jimmypalmer

Total Posts:  79

I don’t know about you guys, but I also am in the business to make money.  They are doing some great stuff and letting us use their software for free.  Yeah, sure, not everything works perfect and exactly how you might think it should be done, but they’ve done a great job of building a very effective ecommerce solution that I have been successfully running for over 5 months.

Yeah, maybe their business model is a little different, but again, it’s their work and they are letting me use it for free..  They have a company to run and they also somehow need to be paid for this. 

Also, in my very little experience I’ve learned and noticed that forums are generally to be used for the community.  It’s a discussion environment that varien has allowed us to use to discuss and attempt to solve the problems that we are having with their software together. Again, they let us use these forums for free!

Maybe I am way off...but I think their lack of response is much easier to swallow when you approach the situation differently. 

...just my worthless two cents.
good luck my friends…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shpigford

Total Posts:  171
Denver, CO

@jimmypalmer: I think all of us here know that Magento has to make money. That’s never been disputed.

The problem is that Magento started this whole thing touting how great it was that this stuff is open-source and how that allows the software to grow so much. But where they’ve dropped the ball is they haven’t done near enough to help teach the community about Magento...leaving the forums flooded with people asking questions and literally next to no one who can answer them.

And even worse is that the architecture behind the code is so complex that it’s near impossible to actually figure something out yourself unless you’re extremely familiar with the Zend framework. It’s not something like WordPress that the amateur PHP programmer can track down issues in.

They’ve basically built up a massive community of Magento-illiterate users who end up just ticked off at them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

simpleinc

Total Posts:  10

any updates on issuing shipping credit or line item credit on paypal web standard. the wiki only indicates it works with google checkout. i have a customer who will be attending an event and the customer placed an order and payed for shipping. i will be hand delivering the order so I would like to provide a shipping credit and admin only allows to fully refund/credit the order and not the shipping only.

Magento Community
Magento Community

marc_j

Total Posts:  37

@jimmypalmer - Right on Jimmy! It’s the classical free-rider open source community at play here complaining. As usual.

@Shpigford - I am trying to understand your argument. You argue that they’ve created something so sophisticated that you can’t figure out (and the rest of the community) and it is Varien’s fault? You have options for alternate ecommerce systems (in fact many options) - why don’t you use those? If you can’t figure it out - its probably a better fit for you anyway. Or take a class / training. Expand your skills.

Did Varien force you to join the community? Nope. We are all here voluntarily. Some of us want to learn, others plan to use Magento, etc. Why do you think Varien needs to teach you or anyone else? Isn’t the role of the community to interact and participate? Who have you taught everything you learned about Magento (or your business, your products sourcing, etc.). Let’s be real - all of us here are extracting value out of this product, including you @Shpigford. It’s just that people like you like to get it all for free (support and consulting options are available, as I am sure you know, but I bet you ain’t going to pay a penny).

Complaining is cheap. Let’s move on and build a community that can support itself. This is what open source is about.

Magento Community
Magento Community

simpleinc

Total Posts:  10

cool smile  Definitley been stoked about this community and a well put together product by Varien. Looking forward to contribute back to the community. Any resources that would help me get up to speed so I can figure out some of its shortcomings and share back? Looking forward to everyone’s input. I definitely would like to figure out the whole partial credit feature. Laters.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2