When browsing a set of filtered products, you cannot assume the user will use their back button. Sometimes they will be looking at an item, click the breadcrumb link and lose their filter settings. They would then get annoyed and have to set them up again.
This can be solved by adding a ‘Refinements’ link to the breadcrumb trail.
1. Select category ‘Cameras’.
2. Filter by colour ‘Silver’.
3. View details of the first listed product (Argus QC-2185 Quick Click 5MP Digital Camera).
4. Having viewed the product, instead of using browser’s back button, click on the ‘Cameras’ link in the breadcrumbs.
You lose your filter settings (in this case ‘Colour: Silver’).
I see two possible ways to improve this.
1. Add a back button to each product listing. Clicking it takes you back to the filtered product listings page.
2. Add a ‘Refinements’ link on the breadcrumb trail. An example breadcrumb trail would be:
Home / Electronics / Cameras / Refinements / Argus QC-2185 Quick Click 5MP Digital Camera
Clicking ‘Refinements’ takes you back to the filtered product listings page.
Clicking ‘Cameras’ takes you to the cameras category with all filters removed.
I think this small change will have a big impact on useability, and prevent users becoming distressed when they lose their filters.