Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Painfully slow admin panel with 1.3.1

bencole

Total Posts:  10

Just Upgraded to magento 1.3.1 from 1.3.0 and the back end admin area is now painfully slow.

Its taking 3-4 mins to load every single page! before upgrading the backend was lightning fast so its def an issue with the new version.
The pagesdo all load eventually it just takes forever.

this happens regardless of the browser im using. ive tried refreshing all cache and rebuiling everything. have also clear everything out of the var/cahce directory with no luck

is anyone else experiencing this? any ideas?

Cheers
Ben

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mispgl

Total Posts:  30

Yes, I’m also experiencing this exactly as you describe it. I’ve tried upgrading via the downloader and via the full package, both with the same results. It’s incredibly frustrating.

What’s weird is, I set up a test site that used another database and hostname, and it seemed to upgrade OK - the admin wasn’t slow at all.

Perhaps it could possibly have something to do with skin updates? When I installed via the full package, the only things I copied across were app/etc/local.xml, and the contents of app/design/frontend/ and skin/frontend/ - nothing else.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jizzler

Total Posts:  1

Thanks for the “tip”. My freshly installed and updated CentOS machine with 1.3.1 experienced the same problem. All required and optional packages installed and permissions set. Cleared that installation out, downloaded 1.3.0 and all is well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mispgl

Oh, yeah, I should’ve said: this is hosting on CentOS 5.3 with Apache 2.2.3 and PHP 5.2.8.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Which browser do you use? Opera is at least twice as fast in the JS heavy admin panel as Firefox.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mispgl

I use Opera 9.64 under Windows XP. This isn’t a browser issue, though - this is the server not responding, for 3 or 4 minutes as the original poster said.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mageho

Total Posts:  291
France, Paris

+1
Very very slow.

I have an error :

Unable to read response, or response is empty

Trace:
#0 /lib/Varien/Http/Client.php(56): Zend_Http_Client->request(’GET’)
#1 /app/code/core/Mage/Adminhtml/controllers/DashboardController.php(79): Varien_Http_Client->request(’GET’)
#2 /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(367): Mage_Adminhtml_DashboardController->tunnelAction()
#3 /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(247): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch(’tunnel’)
#4 /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(158): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#5 app/Mage.php(457): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#6 index.php(52): Mage::run()
#7 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community

TwilightWebDesign

Total Posts:  22

Yes I have noticed this also, admin pages are taking twice, maybe three times longer to load compared with version 1.2!
Any word from the Magento Team on this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ForgetHangovers

Total Posts:  83
Maryland, USA

I am a brand new Magento user, so I have nothing to previously base my assessment on, but I also notice that the admin pages take FOREVER to load.  At first I just thought it was my webhost (shared server), but after some investigation I realized that that wasn’t the issue.  Because this is my first initial install I don’t have any experience downgrading (or upgrading for that matter), is it possible for me to downgrade to 1.3.0? If so, can someone please point me in the direction of some instructions on downgrading?

The admin panel is unbearably slow, it took me over 10minutes just to change 3 attribute sets (add an attribute to each set and save), that doesn’t seem right. Aside from this one little hiccup everything else is going smoothly with my 1st Magento experience.

Thanks,
-Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

mispgl

OK, this is totally bizarre.

We have a site with Magento 1.3.0 installed, www.example.com.

After upgrading to Magento 1.3.1, www.example.com/admin becomes incredibly slow.

To look into this problem, we set up a test site, test.example.com, with a copy of the live site and a copy of the live database.

After upgrading the test site to 1.3.1, everything’s fine - including the admin.

When trying to change the test site to start using the live database, it’s still fine.

Renaming the document root directory of the test site to become the document root of the live site, and the admin becomes incredibly slow.

W. T. F?!

The only thing that’s changed since test.example.com became www.example.com is the hostname and the path to the document root: how on earth can that affect the loading times of the admin pages?

Incidentally, the rest of the site is fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ckosny
Guru

Total Posts:  349
Luxembourg

Hmm, is your main website behind a proxy or so and the test website not? If yes, check this: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/39726/

Generally I would have a look at what outbound calls magento makes and check whether these might cause problems. Otherwise - no idea, sorry…

Good luck

Claudia

Magento Community
Magento Community

mispgl

Hi Claudia. Thanks for the reply.

To answer your question, no, both sites are on the same server, behind the same firewall. All I did to move the test site to the example site was a simple mv command. test.example.com and www.example.com both point to the same CNAME, have the same setup in Apache, and were at the time set up to use the same database.

Do y ou have any hints as to how would I look at the outbound calls Magento might be making? (I mean with regards to Magento code.)

Magento Community
Magento Community

mispgl

SOLVED

Right! Finally found out what’s going on.

Claudia - your instincts were correct: it’s to do with an outbound call.

First, to explain what I was seeing above: in my description, I forgot about one thing: www.example.com was using SSL, and test.example.com wasn’t. So, when going to https://test.example.com/, because of the Apache configuration, it was actually serving up the content from https://www.example.com - which is why it “started” being slow when moving from http://test.example.com to https://www.example.com.

The problem: the reason it’s so slow is because our firewall blocks outbound calls on port 443, and the admin section makes an outbound request for https://widgets.magentocommerce.com/notificationPopup.swf if you have SSL configured. If you don’t have SSL configured, it uses http://widgets.magentocommerce.com/notificationPopup.swf - and our firewall allowed port 80, which is why the test site was working OK.

This is, in my opinion, wrong: the site shouldn’t be making outbound calls at all; but, I doubt anyone else is going to care. We are able to solve it by reconfiguring our firewall setup, but for anyone unable to do this and unable to have outbound calls, they’re stuck. As to why the .swf file isn’t just included in the distribution anyway, that’s anyone’s guess.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ckosny
Guru

Total Posts:  349
Luxembourg

It is good to hear that you solved the problem!

Frankly I would not have known how to check for outbound calls on a live server anyway - I just tried that once on my local test machine, where I simply could look at the router logs…

Regarding the swf file itself:
Maybe it would be possible to download the swf file and change the url of the swf file in Mage_Adminhtml_Block_Notification_Window.php accordingly? I haven’t tried, but I don’t see a reason why this should not work.
Weirdly enough you can disable/enable using https for the feed messages themselves in the system configuration - I don’t know why they don’t use the same setting for the swf file (or why they fetch the swf file from magentocommerce at all).

Greetings from Luxembourg

Claudia

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikal

Total Posts:  1

I have a slow admin panel but this is the debug code that show up at every instance when the server runs slow.

COOKIE
array (
‘ZDEDebuggerPresent’ => ‘php,phtml,php3’,
)

can anyone enlighten me to what is going on =)

Magento Community
Magento Community

whaazza

Total Posts:  15

Just wanted to add my experience with this:
I have 2 magento installs 1.3.2.4 on two different servers both using SSL. I did the first install on a shared server hosting about 60 websites. The site is in production and everything runs quite fast in the admin, so no problem here. I then moved to do an installation on the second (dedicated server) and I was totally amazed at how slow the admin section was running. Every single thing I would do was taking up to 30 seconds to finally get done, the slowest pages to load were dashboard and customers pages. I tried disabling some unused modules (notifications, google checkout etc...) but no change. Added crontab so magento would process cron.php, added sitmap and did a whole bunch of other things to find out where the problem could be but no performance improvement at all. Then at one point, I logged out, cleared the cache folder manually and re-logged in the admin section. The first acces was amazingly fast ! Thinking I got the problem fixed, I started going in different sections of admin and while I was doing it, pages started again to load slower and slower to finally end up at the same slow speed I was experiencing at the beginning. I repeated the same thing I did as described above a couple of times, cleared cache and use the admin section and got the exact same results. I knew then that it was a cache problem but had no clue how to fix it up to the point where I changed permission rights on the cache folder. My cache folder was set to 777 and I changed permissions to 766. Cleared content, logged in admin. The speed came back and now is constant ! I really don’t understand why it is (on my other server cache folder is set to 777) but that is the only way for me to get good speed from the admin. I would be very interested to find out why though.
Hope this can help someone smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2