Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can Magento be used to develop an online Art Gallery site? 

zolute

Total Posts:  9

Can Magento be used to develop an online Art Gallery site?

I have undertaken a project wherein I am required to develop a website for online Art Gallery. Major features are listed below.

• Showcasing the Art work
• Relating the artwork to the artist and vice versa
• Request Quote certain items
• Maintain “Past”, “Current” and “Upcoming” exhibitions.
• Bidding on Artwork
• Negotiations on listed price
• Providing frames as addon with the artwork and also showing the sample of end product on frame selection.

There is a website which is already performing most of the functions listed above.
You can pm me to get the link.

I am open to buy extensions if need be. A descriptive reply will be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

Yes, we saw a site which did this except the auction, that is a pain. Works quite well but they used an external PIM, if you try and do it with Magento directly you will have a serious headache.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zolute

So is it appropriate to assume that Magento is the incorrect platform for achieving this. And I should either switch to another cart or completely build it from scratch.

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Magento is not ideal for this, you may be better off with WordPress which is more flexible in these instances. Seo is not as good but there is always a tradeoff. WordPress/osCommerce/ZenCart are for companies with revenue in $10s thousands/yr, Magento CE is good for companies with revenue in $100s thousands/yr, Magento EE for companies with revenue of $3million+ per year, then the large solutions start from company revenue of $10million+ per year. Time is money, Magento takes longer to install, more complex coding, but also provides features for companies in the $100s thousands to $millions revenue/yr. Magento is a fantastic product when used in the correct environment, but make sure that you pick the correct tool for the correct budget if you want to succeed past the short term.

Magento Community
Magento Community

magedev

Total Posts:  117

Hi Zolute,

We are working on Marketing Suite for Magento and advanced CMS functionality is part of this solution. It would help you with anything related to content creation and setting relations between different content types (Artist / Artwork) - in fact we did very similar functionality for demoing music store. Also adding and maintaining exhibitions or negotiation on price would not be a problem.

I have seen implementation of frame shop based on Magento which offered image upload and preview of framed artwork so this functionality should also be fine with Magento.

However I am not sure how far would you like to extend the bidding system. I\’ve been working on one purpose-made bidding site and there\’s quite a lot of different options to consider. Perhaps it would be easier way to find some good bidding platform and extend it to suite your needs?

Magento Community
Magento Community

zolute

I finally stuck to magento (thanks to certain handy extensions). Now, I am looking for one particular extension which can provide the following functionality

1. I need to provide multiple frame options to go with the paintings and photographs. As the dimension of the pictures are variable, the frame has to be built dynamically around the main image. I searched a bit but nothing great came across.

Any suggestion would be helpful. There are around 200 main images and a choice of 5 frames to go with each image. So I don’t want to edit 200x5 = 1000 files and put them as alternate images for every product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

iwin_it

Total Posts:  10
USA

Yes, of course you can develop a store using Magento. All point you have mentioned is can be fulfilled except the “Bidding Option” with default Magento

Default Magento will not have these features. You can get various plugins in market. Check this link, this will help you in understanding about additional plugin’s http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/auction-pro.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

alicegwb

Total Posts:  2

Yes, you can use Megento to developed your Art Gallery site, but you can go for Wordpress.

Magento Community
Magento Community

castcrus

Total Posts:  1

hi zolute!

i\’m new to magento and i\’m now developing a similar art site, may I ask what handy extensions are you using to provide these functions?

1. Relating the artwork to the artist

2. “Past”, “Current” and “Upcoming” exhibitions.

thanks in advance

Magento Community
Magento Community

jkdiamonds

Total Posts:  2

Magento is the way to go. To display the images, you can very easily use one of the php scripts (memory hogs) or javascript to render it in real time when someone makes the selection.

For the Gallery part, not sure of your technical knowledge but you can very well implement a module that will run within magento and have ghost products ( so you can utilize magento purchase flow).

check out “http://www.pikto.com/cad/gallery/top-pick.html”

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Creating a store for art is no problem, it is no different from any other product to be sold. The problem is the bidding (this is not some Magento handles and extensions we have come across did not have ideal feedback) and artist self service, you do not want to give artists access to the Magento backend so need a self service portal. The store is no problem (excepting bidding which we would not recommend anyway), it is the management of it that is the issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community