Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

I need help getting a simple shopping cart up, I’m stuck on the categories listing

dustinbrewer

Total Posts:  3

I’ve gone through all of the files, read the designers guide and watched the webinar. I’ve scoured the forum posts and even searched through Google. What am I missing? The system looks very clean from the admin standpoint and the features that are available for the system are exactly what my clients want and then some. My only problem is that templating just doesn’t make any sense. I’ve used ZenCart, OSCommerce and OpenCart and been able to easily template them with no problem. I don’t even think I read anything anywhere about how to template them. When it comes to getting Magento to skin it just doesn’t make any sense.

So from what I have gathered you create a PHTML file that structures how the XML file tells other PHTML files to work (etc, etc in a never-ending maze of spider-webbed files). Then you start with the CSS (which makes sense, except it is 6 directories back and 6 more deep). It all seems so redundant and convoluted. I can get content to work just fine but I haven’t been able to figure out how to get the category navigation to come up. It seems like a simple task, I’m afraid to move on to the cart or others parts of the system when the simplest part of the process is so complicated.

Help?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dustinbrewer

Total Posts:  3

I’m able to get the categories to display when I use the theme that came with the magento installation but when I attempt to create my own unique interface and theme I try to duplicate the parts of the original default theme into my CSS/XHTML and it doesn’t really produce anything. I can get the content to show up (from manage pages in the admin) and the footer links to show up, but that is about it.

I’m used to working with tokens, basically functions that will generate some portion of the programming that is needed for the template and site to work properly. Similar to Wordpress’ tags but more advanced. I’m assuming that some of the getchildhtml codes work the same by calling a PHTML file and then using that PHTML file to get the proper information to be generated by the XML file (that calls part of another PHTML file?). I’m having trouble understanding the overall logic of the templating system. It seems advanced but almost too advanced if you aren’t running more that one site off of the system.

I keep feeling like I’m overlooking something or misunderstanding the logic behind how the system works.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community