Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Adding a colour selector to each product. 

Andy Biggs

Total Posts:  8

Hi guys, this is my first post so please be gentle hehe.

I need to add a colour selector to each product because I am selling wedding dresses, the available colours are always the same I just need them to be able to select a colour upon ordering and that information gets sent to me.

Is this possible?

Thanks in Advance

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

demonkoryu
Guru

Total Posts:  328
Dortmund, Germany

You can add a custom option for color to each of the products. You could also use configurable products, but that seems to be overkill for your case (but it will be neccessary to keep track of each colors variation stock status if you want to display it).

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adjustware
Guru

Total Posts:  654

Custom option seems to be the best solution. Also you can use order comments (there is a free mod available)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andy Biggs

thanks for the response guys, the stock is not an issue because all products are ordered in when needed, we do not stock items. The thing is there is about 50 color options for each, will this method still work?

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adjustware
Guru

Currently, using custom options, you have to enter all 50 options for the each product in the store. Yes it’s time consuming, but is the magento way (

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andy Biggs

You see ideally what I need is a color chart, with a table say 10 columns x 5 rows with each of the colors in, they click one etc.

I just don’t think custom options will cut it.

I am at a crossroads here and not sure what is best option.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adjustware
Guru

Hmm, i need to think it over. 

You can create custom option BUT make a customization, so that instead of the dropdown customers will use much more user friendly colour-table. And it could be only the design customization (no database changes). But currently I have no ready to use solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

demonkoryu
Guru

Total Posts:  328
Dortmund, Germany

Andy Biggs - 15 May 2009 01:22 PM

You see ideally what I need is a color chart, with a table say 10 columns x 5 rows with each of the colors in, they click one etc.

I just don’t think custom options will cut it.

I am at a crossroads here and not sure what is best option.

If all products can have the same colors, the simplest thing is to use a simple text input custom option and hide it on the product page template with JS. Then implement the color picker by any means, and update the hidden custom option control via JS when the color picker changes.

Edit: ninja’d by AdjustWare

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adjustware
Guru

Nightfly, thank you! 

You’ve expanded and expressed my idea in easy and understandable manner.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andy Biggs

Thanks guys, solved the problem , that really helped!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community