Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

default/default - Suggestion

Solar Frenzy

Total Posts:  48
London

I understand that the 2nd default folder is the default theme:
/app/design/frontend/default/default/

Having 2 folders named the same like this is not good. Can these 2 default folders be renamed ‘theme’ and ‘magento’ (or something else but I think it’s an obvious point to name it magento) so then you’ll have:
/app/design/frontend/theme/magento/
It’ll make things easier down the line as you’ll just have to say to look in the theme or magento folders rather than confusion over which default folder.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

The first “default” is the package name. You can change this yourself, but make sure you update the system > configuration in the admin panel. The second “default” is the theme, which can also be changed, but again, you have to specify that you are using [whatever you change it to] in the admin panel just like before. Another note is that you will not have a default theme to fall back to if something does go awry. I do admit it can be kinda confusing at times.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community