Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

New to Magento. Need help with estimate of time on a project. 

visiondrew

Total Posts:  13

Hello,

My name is Drew and I am a web designer/developer from Pennsylvania. I have a bit of experience with OSCommerce, and I have beginners experience with PHP. I can edit it, but not actually write the code. I heard great things about Magento so decided to give it a try.

We are doing a website for a client, and they want to sell approx 40 products on the internet. Nothing crazy as far as deals on buy two get one free, discounts etc etc. Just 40 products with descriptions and thats it. Two quick questions…

1.  How long do you think it would take someone who is new to Magento, to set up all these products? (Another designer will have all the pages already designed, I will just need to plug in the products and install the system). Also the hosting company already has everything installed as far as php/mysql is involved

2.  What is the easiest/quickest method to implement for payment… Google Checkout? PayPal… other?

Thanks ahead of time!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Chicago area

visiondrew - 22 April 2009 11:38 AM

Hello,

My name is Drew and I am a web designer/developer from Pennsylvania. I have a bit of experience with OSCommerce, and I have beginners experience with PHP. I can edit it, but not actually write the code. I heard great things about Magento so decided to give it a try.

We are doing a website for a client, and they want to sell approx 40 products on the internet. Nothing crazy as far as deals on buy two get one free, discounts etc etc. Just 40 products with descriptions and thats it. Two quick questions…

1.  How long do you think it would take someone who is new to Magento, to set up all these products? (Another designer will have all the pages already designed, I will just need to plug in the products and install the system). Also the hosting company already has everything installed as far as php/mysql is involved

2.  What is the easiest/quickest method to implement for payment… Google Checkout? PayPal… other?

Thanks ahead of time!!

If you’re new to Magento then first, I would highly recommend that you install it first on a local test setup like XAMPP (see http://ipicdg.com/EC/ for video tutorials on installing and configuring XAMPP).

Another thing you need to be aware of is that designing for Magento is not like designing for regular XHTML page. In many ways it’s much easier but only after you learn how.

The quickest way to implement a payment method is to use simple paypal.

For someone new to Magento, setting up the products is not as important as actually branding the site. Setting up products is simple in Magento and should take you more than a day to add 40 products once the software is installed.

For a newb, installing, configuring, and customizing the site shouldn’t take you more than a week (5 business days) with good documentation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

visiondrew

Total Posts:  13

Great thanks for the fast reply…

Is there any detailed documentation out there that I can give to the guy doing the design? Since you said its not the same as designing for html?

So from what you are telling me, actually installing magento is going to be more difficult than actually setting up products?

Thanks again for the reply.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Chicago area

visiondrew - 22 April 2009 02:36 PM

Great thanks for the fast reply…

Is there any detailed documentation out there that I can give to the guy doing the design? Since you said its not the same as designing for html?

So from what you are telling me, actually installing magento is going to be more difficult than actually setting up products?

Thanks again for the reply.

No, installing Magento is a snap, there is a video at http://ipicdg.com/EC/MagentoInstall.html the most time consuming part of setting up your site will be the configuration and site design customization.
The best detailed documentation out there is mine. Click the link in my signature for more information.

cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community